Iris DATABASE?

Use this forum to discuss all types of Iris.

Moderators: Chris_W, John

John

Iris DATABASE?

Post by John »

Is there a database for Iris cultivars? One which would compare to tinker's database for daylilies, or the hosta library for hostas?

Thank you!

John
Garden_of_Mu
USDA Zone: 7

Post by Garden_of_Mu »

The closest thing to that is Iris Register: http://www.irisregister.com/
But you have to pay to have access. It lists all named varieties of irises registered, with full checklist information from 1950 on. (The 1939 and 1949 checklists are not added except for cultivar name).
~ Mike

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t
matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Theodore Geisel, aka Dr.
Seuss
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

It sure is sad to find you have to pay to view, this information should be for all to view if it's important to the species???
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
laurief

Post by laurief »

Actually, if you click on the link that Mike provided, then look at the lower lefthand side of the screen, you will find links to free downloads of several of the 10 yr registration Check Lists. You don't have to pay to download them, and they provide the same information for those years that the searchable database does.

The searchable database is extremely useful for its search capabilities, and it does include the most recent Check List
and Registration & Introduction booklets that are not yet available for free download.

Neither the searchable database nor the downloadable Check Lists include photos, though.

Laurie
USDA zone 3b, AHS zone 4 - northern Minnesota
normal annual precipitation 26-27"
slightly alkaline, potassium deficient, clay soil
John

Post by John »

Really, if the aim of the AIS is to promote the genus Iris, it would help to get the information out there for free. I am not clear on whether there are photos on that database anyway?

Thanks, Mike.

Hi KHT.

Laurie, your post popped up while I was typing, and answers my question. Thanks.
bengal

Post by bengal »

I agree with you, John. Daylily databases -- available. Hosta library -- available. Iris database -- you have to pay?

The odd coincidence is that I'd not heard of the iris database until about an hour ago. I was at an iris nursery today, everything's $5.00 for at least 2 fans, but that's because almost everything's a NOID. The owner's son showed me his favorite iris, which he described as gray (and so it was, almost), and which he said was named Jungle Fever. I wanted to look it up tonight, and I haven't been able to. It's got one of those names that gives you billions of hits, but none to irises unfortunately. So I tried the AIS, only to find that, yes, there is a database. But, no, I can't access it. :evil:

I probably will go back to buy Jungle Fever, a really interesting looking iris, but which is $10 because it's in their growing bed. For all I know, it should be a $4.00 iris, but I don't know how to search online for info or sources.
John

Post by John »

I grow a nice one called Hi Ho Silver, which is white, with a definite silver-grey tone. It has finished blooming here for about 2 weeks, so doubt it is the one you saw today.

There are no photos on that site, anyway. Guess we should order one of the major catalogues to use for reference.
laurief

Post by laurief »

There is no iris registered with the AIS by the name 'Jungle Fever', so that's apparently just one more NOID sold by the nursery.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, you can download most of the registration Check Lists for free from the site Mike linked above.

You can also find pics of many irises in the PlantFiles at Dave's Garden website.

Laurie
bengal

Post by bengal »

Oh well, Laurie, it was too good to be true....I figured I could get the hybridizer's name; then find out stuff about that iris, including whether the price was decent. Alas. :cry: I suppose it could be Jungle Something or Something Fever. Although it's probably Something Else Entirely. :lol: If I buy it and can get a new camera in time to take a picture, I'll show you guys. The iris was an interesting dark, smoky gray-blue or blue-gray.
laurief

Post by laurief »

$10 is a LOT to pay for a NOID, IMHO, but if you're really in love with it, then it may be worth it to you.

Mike grows some of those smokey grey irises. Perhaps he can post pics of named varieties that you might like just as well and can then find from reputable iris growers who guarantee their stock to be accurately identified.

Laurie
bengal

Post by bengal »

Laurie, you're right, and I know it's a ridiculous amount. That's why it's still growing in their garden, and not growing in mine. :wink:

Mike, if you're around, I'd love to see your irises! :)
Garden_of_Mu

Post by Garden_of_Mu »

I'm guessing what they are growing is Jungle Shadows. It is a wonderful old variety and the color is totally unique. My camera is making it a bit too red/pink in tone - it is a smokey brown-grey-purple blend. Looks best in part shade where the shadows make it's colors deeper.

The iris database is mostly used by the hybridizers to research parentage and available names. The funds to access it go to support the upkeep and expansion of the register.

When searching for irises online try this. On Google use: iris "name of iris". This filters out alot of other things. Also be very careful of using Dave's garden for ID's - I've seen dozens of incorrect photos there.
Attachments
jungle-shadows1-08.jpg
jungle-shadows1-08.jpg (51.97 KiB) Viewed 4505 times
~ Mike

Seuss
bengal

Post by bengal »

Thanks!

BTW, I do the iris "name of iris" thing, but it doesn't necessarily work. Part of the problem is that Iris is a name....so Iris + Jungle Fever seemed to give me a certain amount of, shall we say, suspect web sites. :lol:
laurief

Post by laurief »

I created a custom Google search engine for my website that searches ONLY websites with iris-related information. You are welcome to use it to search for irises without having to muddle through thousands of irrelevant websites. Unfortunately because of Google's own programming, it doesn't search quite a few of the secondary pages on many websites, but it's still fairly useful. You can find Shadowood's Iris Search on the iris intro page of my website.

Laurie
Garden_of_Mu

Post by Garden_of_Mu »

Sometimes adding the size designation (TB, SDB, etc) or the hybridizers name can also narrow the list.

Thanks for the tip on your search engine Laurie - I'll have to try that out.
~ Mike

Seuss
bengal

Post by bengal »

Thanks, Laurie!

Mike, a good tip. I do something analogous when seeking info on a daylily....will add "tet" or "dip" or the intro year if I know it, the hybridzer's name, or maybe a term from the registration info if I know it.
Zwanenburg

Irisdatabase with Pictures

Post by Zwanenburg »

www.Irisparadise.com

change to english and look for Iris Database
Loïc Tasquier

Post by Loïc Tasquier »

first, thanks Mike for this beautiful photo of Jungle Shadow!

second, about the online database, i agree it could be better, free of charge, and with pictures!

but as it is, it is already a stunning tool: when you type a name, on top of giving you the names of the parents of this iris, it also gives you the names of all the irises that have this name in their genealogy.

it has allowed me to learn so much, in such a short time, and the ridiculous 10$ a year will never compensate the feeling that i will ever be in debt to John Jones for having made it possible.

I wanted to add that the more we will be to subscribe to the online database, the more help John will be able to get to update it, and make it a better tool.
Loïc TASQUIER
who, like Betty Wilkerson, could die (or, maybe...kill...?) for a repeat, cycle & everblooming / continuous / non-daylight dependant rebloomer!
zone 7 - Nederland
Liselotte

Re: Iris DATABASE?

Post by Liselotte »

Since I prefer species irises I can go to SIGNA and find whatever I need for free! :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.badbear.com/newsigna/index.pl?Intro find species data base

Liselotte
BillyB
USDA Zone: 6B

Re: Iris DATABASE?

Post by BillyB »

I've used the "iris register" database for a couple of years now. I really don't mind paying $10 a year for it use. It has been very helpful to me in establishing my own personal database for what I grow. It is an extremely valuable tool for people hybridizing in my opinion, because when searching for a particular cultivar, you also will find most any intro it was used either as a pod or pollen parent. This can be very helpful in tracing down a particular trait one is looking to use in their hybridizing lines or maybe prevent a lot of unnecessary crosses. Granted, it would be nice if it was free like a lot of other databases and there are plenty of other options we have that are free (although not always accurate). This just seems to be a small price for me personally, to pay for, when I get so much more "precise information" in return.

Happy Gardening!
BillyB
BillyB
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world." - John Muir
My Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply