Grey and smoky-colored irises

Use this forum to discuss all types of Iris.

Moderators: Chris_W, John

bengal

Grey and smoky-colored irises

Post by bengal »

From the iris database thread, thought I'd pull out the most recent post on smokey-colored irises....

I'm guessing what they are growing is Jungle Shadows. It is a wonderful old variety and the color is totally unique. My camera is making it a bit too red/pink in tone - it is a smokey brown-grey-purple blend. Looks best in part shade where the shadows make it's colors deeper.

Mike, I think Jungle Shadows is in fact the "Jungle Fever" I saw at the local iris place. Thanks for ID'ing it for me! And although the one I saw was in a full-sun field, it was shaded a bit by taller plants and grasses. So as you pointed out, the colors did indeed have a smokey brown/grey/purple look, but one I'd perceived as brown/grey/blue.

The nursery owner highly disliked it, although she and I apparently both like what many would consider strange-colored irises. My husband didn't like the iris either. He was quite blunt and told me he thought it was ugly. But then he pointed out I was going to go ahead and get what I wanted anyway, despite what he thought. True, so true.... :lol:

I've found a few online sources. Of course, if I pay $10 at the local place, it'll be that + sales tax. If I pay the $4.00 or $5.00 I've found online, I'll have to add a whole bunch to the order to justify the shipping cost. :lol:

So....does anyone have any other smokey-colored irises to show? I really like odd colors....what the nursery owner described as "magnificent uglies."
Garden_of_Mu
USDA Zone: 7

Post by Garden_of_Mu »

How about Yves Lassailly? A really different color tone. Silver grey with a pale blue wash and olive hafts.
Attachments
yves-lassailly1-07.jpg
yves-lassailly1-07.jpg (24.27 KiB) Viewed 2301 times
~ Mike

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t
matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Theodore Geisel, aka Dr.
Seuss
bengal

Post by bengal »

Yes, indeed! That one's goes on the wish list. I really like the subtle coloring, much better than white.
laurief

Post by laurief »

Are you only interested in TBs, or are the smaller beardeds in the running, as well?

Laurie
USDA zone 3b, AHS zone 4 - northern Minnesota
normal annual precipitation 26-27"
slightly alkaline, potassium deficient, clay soil
bengal

Post by bengal »

Interested in everything, Laurie. :D I'm a plant nut. To my eyes, they're all beautiful. :)
laurief

Post by laurief »

Here are a few moody-hued irises that never fail to put me into a meditative state of mind ...
Attachments
A weirdling that died out in my beds years ago, but I still remember it fondly.<br /><br />IB 'Chimera'
A weirdling that died out in my beds years ago, but I still remember it fondly.

IB 'Chimera'
chimera.jpg (30.64 KiB) Viewed 2241 times
This one's more of a greyed brown rather than the blue-grey of the others.<br /><br />SDB 'Nessie'
This one's more of a greyed brown rather than the blue-grey of the others.

SDB 'Nessie'
IB 'Allah'
IB 'Allah'
allah1.jpg (49.67 KiB) Viewed 2241 times
SDB 'Blue Neon'
SDB 'Blue Neon'
blueneon1.jpg (48.66 KiB) Viewed 2243 times
SDB 'Pilgrims' Choice'
SDB 'Pilgrims' Choice'
pilgrimschoice2.jpg (46.58 KiB) Viewed 2244 times
USDA zone 3b, AHS zone 4 - northern Minnesota
normal annual precipitation 26-27"
slightly alkaline, potassium deficient, clay soil
bengal

Post by bengal »

I have to seek those out! Love love love Nessie; love the weirdling....they're all beautiful!
New Topic Post Reply