Beefsteak Hybrid BIG disapointment

Use this area to discuss herb and vegetable gardening.

Moderator: Chris_W

nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Beefsteak Hybrid BIG disapointment

Post by nanny_56 »

I planted an Early Girl which is producing beautifully, but my Beefsteak is only about 3ft. tall and has produced about 4-5 very small, ugly tomatoes. I know it is a late season plant but shouldn't it be doing more? Anybody else grow these? Do anthing special? This is only mt third year at growing veggies so am learning!

Thanks for any help,

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I know my DH has grown beefsteaks in the past and yes....they do take longer to mature, but I do remember that they were huge! One slice filled an entire sandwich. Has yours grown any larger since the last time you posted?
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

This plant is soooo pitiful! It has grown a couple inches taller and I got another ripe tomato off yesterday but only about 4 inches diameter. :cry: :x

We were so looking forward to huge tomatoes from this plant! I was wonde ing if next year I tried a non-hybrid type if I might have better luck.

I also wonder if it wasn't mislabeled. I know my cherry tomatoe plant was. People take the tags out to read and then put them back in the wrong container. Was bought from local people who always sell plants in the spring.

Thanks for responding anyway!
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

You might be right about it being mis-marked. I don't know how you would tell one tomato plant from another. :???:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

Hmmm, I have the opposite problem, my Early Girl is producing very slowly, not many tomatoes yet. The Beefsteaks (or Beefmasters, can't remember), have been producing nice fruits that are huge.

I have a healthy, extra licopene variety this year. It is a plum tomato, very much like a roma, and it has been doing GREAT, and they are quite tasty.

Made stuffed tomatoes for supper Monday night, YUM! Used all the varieties for them.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
New Topic Post Reply