How to handle Basil?

Use this area to discuss herb and vegetable gardening.

Moderator: Chris_W

lazygardner

How to handle Basil?

Post by lazygardner »

My Basil plants keep wanting to go to flower and I want bigger leafier plants. I have been picking off the flower buds before they open. Is this wrong? Is there anything else I can do? Also, what is the best way to preserve basil. I was thinking of freezing the leaves individually on a cookie sheet. Thanks!
Before criticizing someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them you will be a mile away and have their shoes!
Violet_Skies

Post by Violet_Skies »

You are right to pinch off the flowers. They will steal energy and flavor from the leaves. You can also pinch off the growing tips to encourage more side branching, therefore more bushiness and more leaves. For preserving, I make all mine into pesto and freeze in small containers until needed. That is, that which isn't eaten fresh first on pizzas, in tomato dishes, etc.
You never know what the past will bring.
herbgrower

Preserving Basil

Post by herbgrower »

Take a peice of fine mesh netting and roll the leaves loosely .
Tie off both ends and place in your refrigerator for about 2 weeks. Remove leaves from neting and crush before placing them in a jar or bottle with a screw top or other container
with a reasonably air tight lid. They will keep in this state for several years.
"knowledge is wasted if it goes unshared"

http://www.botresearch.com
toomanyanimals
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by toomanyanimals »

herbgrower,

A couple of questions for you.
1. Can you do this with any herb? ie catnip

2. Can you describe the fine mesh netting more, and where could I possibly find it?

I have basil and catnip that I would like to dry and keep for the winter, but have absolutely no idea how to go about this.

Sharon
Be not simply good; be good for something.
Henry David Thoreau
New Topic Post Reply