Transplanting Rhubarb

Use this area to discuss herb and vegetable gardening.

Moderator: Chris_W

mooie

Transplanting Rhubarb

Post by mooie »

When are you supposed to transplant rhubarb? I have a large clump planted over -----------> there in the shade and i don't think it belongs there does it? I've never grown it before so have no idea. :roll: Help?

Mooie
~Imagine~
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

No, it doesn't belong over -------------> there in the shade.

Move it over here <------------------- in the sun!!

I'm not sure when is the 'right' time to move it. I'm pretty brutal with my rhubarb. If you have a healthy clump I'm sure it will survive if you dig it up and move it now. As with anything, keep it well watered after transplanting to reduce the stress level.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
mooie

Post by mooie »

Thanks Jane! I will try to get it moved right after the 4th. For a long time I didn't even know it was rhubarb! :o :-? I thought it was burdock coming up, til my MIL said nooooooo! :o :lol:

mooie
~Imagine~
kiendu

Post by kiendu »

I'd wanted rhubarb and had purchased many rhubarb boxed plants at Walmart/Shopko, ect. None of them ever made it for me. Anyway, a coworker said he had two huge rhubarb plants in his yard he wanted to get rid of. So, together we dug them out. WHAT a fiasco that was! I had no idea of the roots on those plants. We dug and dug and pulled and pulled... I should of taken a picture of those plants once we got them dug out. The main root, which was thick and tuberous, was a good three feet long. Needless to say, I had to dig a pretty big hole in my yard to replant it!

But, they transplanted great... we dug it up in the fall and the following summer I was giving rhubarb to the neighbors because we couldn't eat it all ourselves. Mine is in sun all morning, but is in dappled shade on and off in the afternoon.

Cindy
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Oh my, Cindy.... I would have liked to have seen a pic of that!! :o
DH planted some rhubarb this last year , so we'll see what happens this year with it. We like to make Rhubarb Crispl every year, so I'm looking forward to having some of our own and handy. :)
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Rebekah

Post by Rebekah »

Rhubard is pretty hardy.

We had a good bed of it here when we moved in. Bed was about 50cm wide by a good 3m long. And for 2 people it was just a bit too much :o :D

Anyway, I don't know how many times I'd run it over (I'd been driving over the lawn for an extra 'drive way' when we had things parked on the drive way) with the Ute and it keept growing - never died, that is until I introduced it to some weed killer.

The plot is no a more acceptable size, 50cm X 50cm around about.
New Topic Post Reply