Growing Peanuts

Use this area to discuss herb and vegetable gardening.

Moderator: Chris_W

PeggyC

Growing Peanuts

Post by PeggyC »

I didn't know where to put this. :roll: I don't think the veggie forum is getting many visitors this time of year. :wink: But wanted to ask if anyone has grown peanuts? I've been considering it but wanted to know if anyone had given it a try. Thinking of planting Virginia Improved or Jumbo Virginia. Thanks!
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I did once a long time ago. It was a learning experience, but unless I had enough room to plant a lot of them I probably wouldn't do it again. Still, it was fun to try. I think if you have really well-drained, well-aerated soil that you could get a really good crop.

I found this website with what looks like useful information:

http://www.aboutpeanuts.com/infougro.html

P.S. - I moved this to the veggie forum but with a moved link in the garden bench. If we have activity in a forum it will get more people there ;)
Last edited by Chris_W on Mar 08, 2005 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

Hi Peg! Once MANY years ago when I was a kid we planted some peanuts in the vegetable garden for fun. I remember that they grew and they made peanuts and we thought it was SO cool.

I also remember that when we ate them we didn't like them because they were "raw", not toasted or salted or anything like we were used to. :lol:

Other than that, I don't have any help for you. I'm surprised we were able to grow them, aren't they more of a southern crop? (I'm thinking Georgia and Jimmy Carter here.)

Good luck!!

PS - The veggie forum will pick up once we are able to get in the garden!!
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
New Topic Post Reply