Tomatoe's

Use this area to discuss herb and vegetable gardening.

Moderator: Chris_W

LucyGoose

Tomatoe's

Post by LucyGoose »

I picked up a couple tomato plants today. I thought I'd try the 5 gallon pots again....I was talking to a lady while I was picking them out and she said she always grew them on her patio in a reg pot, and had good luck....The ones I picked up were Cherry Tomato called *Sweet 100* and a Heirloom one called *Mr. Stripey* Anyone ever grow these? Both of us bought the Mr. Stripey....I even gave her Hallson's web site, so I hope she pops in....On the thingy it had said to plant 80% of the plant for stronger plants....So, that's what I did.... :o ....Do you all do that? And the lady told me to pinch the top in a few weeks.....and to keep pinching them for a bit.....I think I have heard of that before....

Any advise? Thanks!!
Squash Blossom

Post by Squash Blossom »

I grew Heirloom Brandywine tomatoes last summer in huge black landscape pots, I'm guessing 15 gallon and some even bigger, and produced some of the best tomatoes we've ever eaten and had extra to share. The biggest problem we encountered was the plants grew so tall, app. 12'-14', and kept on producing. :lol: Our neighbors thought it was hilarious!

This year I'm trying another experiment. Sooner or later this is going to probably have my neighbors laughing again but I'm going to attempt to grow these super-tall plants on arches. Right now the arches are low, as the plants grow I'll add other sections, to a max. height of 8' in the middle.

I haven't grown the Sweet 100 cherry tomato but my nephew did...on an apartment balcony...and the tomatoes looked like grapes they were so abundant. It really made quite a pretty plant, stayed healthy all summer, and bachelor Alan had more tomatoes than he could manage. :lol:

Talking about gardening in containers, we found that when other friends' tomatoes were severely compromised by the long summer rains we often get, we were O.K. because the water could drain through the pots and not stay soggy for days on end.

Last year I also spent days on end mixing a concoction of soil, composted cow manure, additives (even egg shells) but this year I'm just using a good quality potting soil and Miracle-Gro for vegetables. I honestly would prefer not to grow the mammoth plants we had last year for several reasons, including the fact that my time is severely compromised this year.

One hint I absolutely must share, that worked like a charm, was to hang plastic Easter eggs in my tomato plants to keep the birds out. I happened to have 2-3 dozen plastic eggs I had painted bright red for party decorations several years ago and I drilled tiny holes in them, stuck Christmas ornament hangers through the holes, and hung them. As God is my witness, a mockingbird flew down and pecked a plastic "tomato" while I was hanging them! :lol: All summer I doubt we lost over 2-3 tomatoes to the birds!!

Good luck! Someone told me years ago, a seasoned vegetable gardener, that you couldn't grow good tomatoes in buckets but I promise you can...just keep them well watered and well fertilized!!

Ann

P.S. Don't laugh and I'll post a picture of my 2005 gardening project!!
Attachments
DSC00162 (resized).jpg
To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I am not going to laugh at the picture........I think it will be great! Do show us later on when they grow big....

That's good news about the Sweet 100 tomatoes.....DH loves cherry tomatoes.....I did a google on the Mr. Stripey, and it seems that in other forums it's a 50/50 with it....They have a thin skin, supposedly and might split, and that they didn't do well on producing much fruit.....I'm now thinking of getting another kind just to make sure I get at least some good slicing tomatoes.....Do you have a suggestion for this in containers? I can look around thursday on my day off for one more plant...

I'll have to see if I can get some of those eggs from someone at work who has kids.... :D

I am always out with the hose, so I will keep them watered....I have tons of drainage holes, so it should be good...I also heard that you shouldn't fertilize too much.....Heck if I know....:lol:

Thanks, Squash Blossom!! :D
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Ann, that's a great idea for the tomatoes.
I always liked Celebrity and Jet Star. ANY of the cherry tomatoes are great. They rarely make it to the house. I've never pinched them before but it probably helps the potted ones stay a little bushier instead of rambling all over the place.
Squash Blossom

Post by Squash Blossom »

I said this morning that I was only using Miracle-Gro Tomato/Vegetable Fertilizer but I forgot that I also mixed Osmocote Tomato/Vegetable Fertilizer in with the soil before I planted.

I've seen those Sweet 100 patio tomatoes grown on a short trellis, one of those that is maybe 3-4 ft. tall and almost the same width.

Our sources for vegetable plants is not large - only one nursery raises all the different varieties like Heirlooms, etc. We've also had good luck with Argentine and Marglobe. The tomatoes you see planted underneath the arches right now are Marglobe and they did not get as out-of-control as the Brandywines.

Brandywine is reputed to be the original tomato or something. I read a lot about them and really tried them last year just to see what would happen. The tomatoes were dark pink instead of red and they were particularly sweet and juicy with a perfect texture. Argentine is a good tomato, I think.

We love fresh tomatoes and all of my new plants already have healthy blooms.

Ann
To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Thanks!! I will write these name you two gave me, and take them with me when I shop around... :D
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Hi Lucy,
I just came into this forum tonight, I have never been in here before. :lol: Takes me a while to explore new areas. :lol:

I have grown both Mr. Stripey, nice tasting tomato, regular size and Sweet 100 in pots. If u don't want to have to water as often put a sponge in the bottom of the pot before u put dirt in. The reason u bury the tomato deep is so that more roots will grown along the stem. I don't know about pinching off the top though, I've only heard about doing that when u want the tomatoe to stop growing.

I've also grown Sungold, a nice sweet yellow cherry tomatoes, Early girl regular size and quick maturing and a few other kinds.

Debbie

ICGardner

Post by ICGardner »

Squash Blossum- Just had to bump this up and ask how your experiment with the trellis and tomatoes is going?! Pictures?????
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Sure glad this Old Coot check this forum out

Post by oldcoot »

Nice to have time to spend just looking.. Way to go there Lucy. Can't believe you are just getting yours down. We put out about 10 plantgs in the front yard in a part of the Lily bed I won't be using back arounds Easter.. My cousin Jack Perry gave them to us when we visited then this spring. They were in 1-gallon pots in Miracle Grow potting soil. All we did was dig a hole (dirft was already pretty good,and put his dirt and plant the whole thing in the hole. Put some more good dirt up around them, and they have been produceing for about three weeks now. LOTS and LOTS of big red tomatoes. Just right for Sandwhiches. Lasgt year wed plan the them in tray on the deck, but it was just too hot, so next year O.C. will put them in buckets out on the container rack which gets less sun, but enough to make daylilies bloom.. Be sure to show us some pictures when thery do. Mine are now heat burned up. With a 100+ forecast fot the coming week, I am surfe I can go ahead and pull them up and start getting ready to plant more Liliums out there later this fall

That Old Coot named John, loving his Tomatoes. (His son brought him a 10 gallon bucket of Tomatoes, Squash, Zuchini, and Pole Beans for Joy to freeze. All the Tomatoes won't been there when she gets ready, O.C. is having SOME OF THEM for lunch today !!)
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
New Topic Post Reply