How do I grow onions?

Use this area to discuss herb and vegetable gardening.

Moderator: Chris_W

Dee
USDA Zone: 5

How do I grow onions?

Post by Dee »

OK, I am NOT a veggie gardener at all :roll: but got a wild hair at the garden center today. Got a tomato plant (pink lady or pink girl - sounded good) and some red and white onion sets. I'm good on the tomato planting, but what do I expect with the onions? Do I end up waiting a year or two before I have something edible? I'm gonna clear a raised holding bed I have this spring (really I am :roll:) and plant my veggies in there. :D
Deb118

Post by Deb118 »

Dee,
For onions, this is what I've always done. And I guess it depends on the size you want them.... But I just plant them in rows, a couple inches apart. When the greens are up 8 inches or so, I pull about every other one (they are small, and great for cooking) This will leave the others room to grow. By fall, you should have larger onions.
"Hold fast to dreams for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly." -Langston Hughes
Dee

Post by Dee »

Well that sounds easy enough. Thank you Deb!!! I've never had fresh onions before...now if I could just get enough room for taters and squash and melons and, and, and... :lol:

Thanks so very much!!
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Pointy side up!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Do just like Deb says and you'll have onions all summer and into the fall.

There's nothing better than being able run out the back door and grab an onion whenever you need one. In the fall before it freezes, if you have some left in the garden you can pull them, shake the dirt off, lay them out in a cool dry place (garage) and they will last into winter.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
bkshasta

Post by bkshasta »

Dee, how funny that you posted about onions. I have a question about onions too and was going to post.

I planted onions last fall. Now the onions are much bigger and are starting to send up the flower head. Do I want to let it bloom or cut off the flower stalk?
Karry
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Karry, I've only grown them once or twice but I don't think you want them to go to seed. Someone smarter than me could tell you different.
Deb118

Post by Deb118 »

Karry, No you dont want them to flower. I shoulda mentioned that earlier :oops: Break the greens off, leaving a couple inches. Like flower bulbs that have bloomed, cutting the tops off sends the energy to the bulb. In this case, the onion. :D
"Hold fast to dreams for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly." -Langston Hughes
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Dee, I grow zuccini and cucumbers in pots.

Karry, when any of my onions flower they get hard in the middle of the bulb from the flower stalk. So no, don't let them flower they won't taste as nice.

Debbie

New Topic Post Reply