Cilantro prune, can I?

Use this area to discuss herb and vegetable gardening.

Moderator: Chris_W

wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Cilantro prune, can I?

Post by wishiwere »

Hi there. I'm assuming I can cut this back so it's not so straggly (is that a word)? :) I've never grown many herbs and such, and not sure what to do with this. It's all straggly :) and I doubt it's supposed to look so forlorned?

How far back can I cut it so it grows with more umph......or strength to hold it's head up?

Thanks!
Attachments
Cilantro.jpg
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Violet_Skies

Post by Violet_Skies »

You can cut it back if you want, (don't you have to if you're going to eat some? LOL) the only thing is that cilantro blooms and sets seed really soon after maturity, so if you want to keep having fresh cilantro leaves, you have to keep planting seeds every 2 weeks or so. Of course you can also grind the seeds and use them as coriander (that's what coriander is, is cilantro seeds). Tasty either way.
You never know what the past will bring.
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Oh okay. My sister talked me into this! :) I thought she knew more about herbs! :roll:

So you can't just keep taking some to use and keep it rejuvenating hey? Okay then! Can you dry, crush and save the seed then? Or do you dry and save the seed and use as needed?

Can you tell I am just learning about herb and his buddies? :) Thanks for all your help, btw... :)
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
New Topic Post Reply