Catmint take over!! HELP??????

Use this area to discuss herb and vegetable gardening.

Moderator: Chris_W

wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Catmint take over!! HELP??????

Post by wishiwere »

Good Morning~
This Catmint is like wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy to big at 5' round! So after it's done blooming, can I cut it back and divide it? Will it continue to grow this year, or should I do this in the fall or spring?

Will it repeat bloom then?

Thanks! :)
Attachments
Catmint .jpg
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
ICGardner

Post by ICGardner »

Jane- Just saw this thread and here it what I did. Mine was out of control and also thinning out in the middle. I totally reshaped mine in early June and it looks great now. It has continued to bloom and it has filled in in the middle. Give it a good pruning and I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how it responds! Susan
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Susan, how far do I cut it back? And can I chop the base in 4 to move some of it? It was great last year and just exploded this year! LOL

But how far from the ground do you cut it back mainly?
ICGardner

Post by ICGardner »

I didn't see this reply/question until now- sorry! In the middle of the plant, I cut it back pretty severly, maybe down to 6 inches from the ground. THe rest of the plant I cut back cut back to maybe 8 inches. The plant is STILL looking great today (July 8th) and in fact, I have deadheaded it some more to keep it blooming. Seems like a very hardy plant that would be hard to damage by pruning it, even if you go a little crazy! So, just prune away and don't be afraid!
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Thanks, It flopped over so badly, the middle was exposed while I busy with painting indoors and its started sending up new stuff in teh middle! It'll be easy to cut it back now that I know it will grow back :) THanks again :)
ICGardner

Post by ICGardner »

:D :D :D :D
New Topic Post Reply