Watering Tomatoes

Use this area to discuss herb and vegetable gardening.

Moderator: Chris_W

ICGardner

Watering Tomatoes

Post by ICGardner »

Any ideas out there as to how I can keep my tomato plant watered while on vacation for a week? I hate to ask my neighbors- they are already feeding my kitty-cats.....
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

At this point I would expect them to do okay for a week if they were watered well before you left and when you returned. They can take the heat.

I haven't had measurable rain for about 6 weeks. I finally watered the tomatoes well about a week and a half ago. They are doing okay and producing.

If you are serious about watering them, I've seen timers for your water spigot, but I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving the spigot on for a week.

Perhaps you could put out the hose and sprinkler in the right place and then just tell the nice friends who are taking care of kitty, to turn the faucet on and off for you for half-an-hour twice during the week (or whatever you think is right).

Good luck!
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

You can bury a plastic milk jug or coke bottle with the top or spout sticking in the ground and fill it with water. This allows the water to seep down close to the roots. You should put one or two beside each plant.

Ginger
ICGardner

Post by ICGardner »

Thanks, Ginger! That is kind of what I was looking for. Last year, I left the tomatoes unwatered for a week and think I lost alot of blooms, thus fruit, because they were too dry. I will try the upside down container and see if that does the trick. :D
New Topic Post Reply