Silly Rhubarb Question

Use this area to discuss herb and vegetable gardening.

Moderator: Chris_W

JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Silly Rhubarb Question

Post by JaneG »

You know how we always do things a certain way because that's how our Mom did it? We don't know why we do it that way, we just do.

Well, one of those things is harvesting rhubarb in the spring when it first comes up. After May or early June, Mom never cut any more rhubarb.

Is there a reason for this?

Here's why I ask . . . I planted some new Rhubarb plants in late spring. They were just 3 little root clumps in a bag from Home Depot. They weren't planted til late spring and now they've taken off very well and one of them is pretty big and putting up new shoots every day like they do in the spring. I'm itching to cut some of those fresh stems and cook up a little rhubarb. BUT . . . It just doesn't feel right because Mom never cut rhubarb in July!!!

Since it's a newer plant I assume this would be fine, the stems are fresh, etc. With it being a very young plant would cutting the stems hurt it, or might it help (kind of like pruning)?

What would you do?
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

The reason to not cut past a certain point, especially in a first year planting, is that the leaves make the food for the roots. If too many leaves are removed it makes for a weaker root system to get through the winter on. This is especially critical the first year you plant it. If you just can't stand it, you can do some very light harvesting, but do not totally denude the plant.
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Thanks Kellie, I wouldn't take much since they are young plants.

So what's the reason for not cutting past a certain time with my big old established plants? I always assumed it was because the stalks were more tender and sweet when they are first coming on in the spring and that perhaps later in the season they would be tough and less flavorful. Is this true? Do you harvest throughout the year?
JaneG
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

Same reason on the older, bigger ones. If you do a long, sustained harvest you are reducing the amount of chlorophyll that the leaves make to send to the roots. Harvest from early spring and back off around June 1st. No need to put the plant into additional stress going into the summer. Plants under stress are more likely to have pest and disease problems and a well established plant can provide you with pounds and pounds of fresh rhubarb prior to summer.
After the spring harvest is over, mulch the root zone well with compost.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I have some really big, old clumps at the other house. Still not sure if I want to move them, but they are absolutely huge. In the past I tried to harvest them in the summer and yes, the bigger, older leaves are just too tough and too dry to be worth anything. But when I've seen a new flush of foliage and harvested the younger sprouts they were great. I'm really not sure that you could harm an old established clump by harvesting some in the summer. And if I did eliminate some of it that wouldn't be a bad thing anyway as it is ready to take over the garden if I let it :lol:
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

The key phrase here is harvesting "some". Too often I see clumps stripped as heavily as they are in the spring all summer long. That is when it isn't good for them. Light harvesting in the summer is okay. Total defoliation is not.
If you are summer harvesting, keep the clumps well watered.
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Thanks for the input, Kellie and Chris!

I have never harvested an entire plant. Even in the spring I take only a few of the best stems from each plant every few days. They are usually growing fast enough to keep up with the pace that I am taking stalks. I will take a few new stalks this summer and see how they are. Just enough to cook up with some sugar to make a warm topping for my ice cream!! Yum!
JaneG
New Topic Post Reply