Peas Please?

Use this area to discuss herb and vegetable gardening.

Moderator: Chris_W

wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Peas Please?

Post by wishiwere »

I would like to be 'successful' with peas at some point in my life! I've tried to grow them a few times and failed. Or the plants have. Once it was be/c I planted them too late I'm sure, but........
My question is for those in zones 4-6? What type of peas do you sow and what do you do that makes them produce? I'd like to grow the sweet pea or that type. Any suggestions or opinions?

Thanks!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

My DH is the veggie gardener in our family, but I know that peas is one of the plants that he has always had bad luck with in the past also. I'll be looking forward to the advice that others will offer you. :???:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Violet_Skies

Post by Violet_Skies »

I don't know what could be wrong...I grow snow peas every year and they are one of the easiest things I grow. Just plant them to the correct depth and spacing on the seed package (now would be good, they like cold soil I guess). Put up something for them to cling to as they grow, a little fence or some crossed sticks or what have you. Maybe you had old seed in the past that didn't germinate? Maybe you could describe exactly what happens when you try to grow peas. Do they not come up at all, or...?
You never know what the past will bring.
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Well, they are all about 4 inches high now and seeming to do fine! They're against a chainlink, I'm hoping to snug them up to as they grow. Same thing I do with maters! :)

Did I read correctly not to fertilize peas? Should I, or not? What and how often? Thanks anyone!

Now if the danged varmints wouldn't eat the beans I planted! I see borrough through the rows and no beans in that area at all! All the rest are up! Should I replant now, or just deal with 2-3 feet of open space in 4 rows! :(
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
New Topic Post Reply