Nineth Picking of Romas

Use this area to discuss herb and vegetable gardening.

Moderator: Chris_W

kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Nineth Picking of Romas

Post by kHT »

Salsa anyone?
kHT

Post by kHT »

These are now all bagged and in the freezer with peppers and onions mixed in! :cool:
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

So how or what do you do to freeze these? DH is very interested in your matoes! Have heard of freezing tomatoes but never done it

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
kHT

Post by kHT »

What we did was boil water in the largest pot we have, dunk the motoe in the water for a minute, then put then in the sink in a pot of ice water. Peel the skins off and then put them in another large pot to boil with onions & peppers slices, cook for 20 minutes on med heat. Set aside to cool then just put then in qt. baggies and freeze. Time got away today so I didn't blend up the last batch for paste.
Deb118

Post by Deb118 »

Claudia,
If you'd like an even easier way to freeze them, do like I do. I just wash them and toss them into a freezer bag, and into the freezer they go. No boiling water :D When I need some for soup, or chili, or what ever.... I just plop them into a large bowl or just the sink.... fill it with the hottest tap water, and the skins just slide right off. Then straight into the pot they go!!! :D :D
"Hold fast to dreams for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly." -Langston Hughes
kHT

Post by kHT »

Gosh Deb, ya must have one huge freezer! My little 5 footer wouldn't hold much unless I prepared them first. Plus are ya afraid of freezer burn fixing them that way?
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

Nice looking Romas there, KHT!

I'm somewhere in the middle . . . I wash and slice them, then put the slices on cookie sheets, not touching so they freeze in their original shape. Then bag the frozen slices and put them back in the freezer.

To prevent freezer burn, I have a vacuum-seal system that I love to use for freezing things. That's why I have to freeze them first, if I use the vacuum sealer on really wet things, (like tomatoes) it starts to suck the liquid out and I don't always get a good seal.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

Thanks you guys! I think we will try some Romas next year for sure. Will jot all this down for DH. He is the cook at our house. Maybe try all and see which works best for us!
Very helpful information.

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
New Topic Post Reply