Salad, anyone?

Use this area to discuss herb and vegetable gardening.

Moderator: Chris_W

Wanda
USDA Zone: 5

Salad, anyone?

Post by Wanda »

I am truly amazed...I have growing crops OUTDOORS! Planted short rows of mixed lettuces, Lollo Rosso leaf lettuce and spinach late last fall during the e. coli problems in commercial crops - gotta have my salads. Covered them with two layers of plastic sheeting over hoops. Warm temps in Dec. helped things along, but then we had many days of temps below -20 degrees with some days never reaching zero...and the greens are still growing! Only about 1/2” to 1” tall, but growing nonetheless!!! Had no idea they would survive during such cold weather. As soon as our temps reach normal (low 30’s) they should really take off.

So now, before next winter, have to build a proper cold frame so I can do it again - but better (hehe). Will get the greens planted by late August so they will be eating-size before the severe cold sets in...and hope to be able to harvest most of the winter!

wanda
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Awesome!

I just bougt a bunch of mixed lettuce seeds to start in a cold frame now - trying to get a jump on an early harvest.

I bet if you can keep them growing in z5, I can do the same here in "balmy" (-10F windchill at the moment) z7. I am definitely going to try this next fall too....

Thanks for the suggestion!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
Wanda

Post by Wanda »

Alexa: I am sure it will work for you - especially in zone 7! It really does work better if you can have them grown to eating-size before a killing frost in the fall. They don’t grow much once real cold weather sets in, but will hold in fine shape most of the winter. There is nothing better than fresh food grown yourself in the middle of winter! And with the e. coli and other problems in commercial crops...much safer!

wanda
Wanda

Post by Wanda »

The mixed greens are growing well - they now have two sets of “true” leaves. Thinned the Lollo Rosso lettuce and got a whole new row of transplants from the thinnings. I really like having food growing this early in the season! Our temps will be in the 50-70 degree range all this week with lows well above freezing so really looking forward to a burst of growth...and a homegrown salad before long.

I still can hardly believe they stayed alive all winter, in temps under 20 degrees below zero with just plastic over them.

wanda
New Topic Post Reply