Corn

Use this area to discuss herb and vegetable gardening.

Moderator: Chris_W

kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Corn

Post by kHT »

Just asking how high is yours??
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Looks fabulous, Karma! Here is Ohio the saying is "Knee high by the 4th of July" and that's about what DH's is now. I have seen field corn growing that seems to be higher this year, but we've had some really nice weather the last couple months, so that's probably why. :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
janey

Post by janey »

I just saw this....

Karma!! Wow! Everything looks so great...How large is your total garden area....flowers and vegetables?

We actually ate homegrown corn here over the 4th! Earliest it's ever been available. One of the local farms here--they have the very best everything, especially the corn---tried something...The owner started seeds in his greenhouses and then moved them outside when everyone else was just planting. A big farm so it was a huge venture, but it paid off.

Voila!! Early corn and it's wonderful....
kHT

Post by kHT »

What a difference a few days of high (104) temps can do to corn!! Here is a tour of the garden for you. I have to explain the photo of the tomatoes. I have been forbidden to use messenger in the veggie garden this year, so to prove my point I only sprayed one tomatoe plant, can you guess which one?? The corn isn't our normal Senaca Chief this is why it's much smaller as this is what DH selected in a different variety and again no messenger except one row closest to the fence. Welcome to my veggie garden where we have 2 ~ 20 X 40 foot beds just south of the house and we have converted the old iris garden into an veggie over flow with daturas garden bed. In the square of PVC is a mellon we are attempting to grow and our new thing this year is variegated tomatoes that we just planted. They will have to be move to the overflow garden as I saw this weekend they can get huge. Enjoy my veggie garden, will have to post twice to get the photos.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
kHT

Post by kHT »

Bed #2 and #3
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
kHT

Post by kHT »

variegated tomatoes
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
janey

Post by janey »

Karma~
Great tour!! Thanks. It's obvious that a lot of time and care is spent out there....nary a weed in sight. (Except for that one back and to the left of the large tomato plant..... :wink: )

What is "messenger" and why is one forbidden to use it this year? Seems to me......but then again.... :roll:

Now I want to see your flower gardens....and you actually have time for other projects as well??????

Maaannnnn!
kHT

Post by kHT »

Janey are you talking about that black plastic that is covering the strawbails??

Messenger:
http://www.edenbio.com/garden/

A product that I use once a month and let me tell you the row of corn closet to the fence is really nice!! I need to spray again but they say we might have rain. I spray everything I can!! :wink:

Other projects, well since DH is home this week to strip the deck I was asked since the paint if faiding to consider repainting the trim. Well I got that done and now the gutters look dull, so guess what I get to do now?? Help, can I send him back to work??
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
janey

Post by janey »

Nah, Karma, I was just teasin'.

Thanks for the link to Messenger. I did a fast click, but will go back and read thoroughly later....

Geeze, K~ can you bottle up some of that energy and send it this way? And then get your DH an out of the house hobby!! Golf?? Fishing??? :D

Get him completey hooked this summer so next summer he won't notice when you travel here and help me rip this yard apart! Yes?????
kHT

Post by kHT »

:lol: :lol: Well it's appears I'll be painting the house now that the trim is being done. :lol: Just what I need another project!! :lol: It's time for a color change since so many of the houses around us are going gray, which we did 18 years ago. There are now 7 now around us with gray. :roll: I've been trying to get DH into gardening, ya know watching Paul James is a good thing!! Myabe he can take over the gardens as I travel?? :wink:
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Holy cow, Karma! Slow down girl and pace yourself! I got exhausted just reading about all you've been up to. :lol:
The garden looks great. You must spend lots of time out there weeding/hoeing. :wink:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
kHT

Post by kHT »

Hey Joan, matter of fact I have weeded out there just twice, no hoeing at all the more you disturb the soil the more weeds you wil have. In some areas we put down straw that we used last fall in covering the cannas and nannas. The main open are is the tomatoes and the datura gardens. I saw that the variegated tomatoes looks like this past weekend when I toured a persons garden that had an add for B. Sangs. that they were selling. Wow!! This guy recommends them as they are great to eat on everything.
Now to watch mine grow and to remember to save seeds.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
New Topic Post Reply