I got my first ripe tomatoes today!

Use this area to discuss herb and vegetable gardening.

Moderator: Chris_W

Justaysam

I got my first ripe tomatoes today!

Post by Justaysam »

Cherokee Purple!! 2, and we are having a special blt lunch Fri. I am so excited! Who else has ripe tomatoes? and what kind? Are they wonderful? Do they taste like a tomatoe should? Can you tell I'm Excited!! I love heirloom tomatoes.
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

Great for you!!! I've got loads of green tomatoes. The plants have been loaded for weeks now and none of them are showing any interest in turning red.

Now cucumbers on the other hand . . . I've taken a bag of them to work, I've given then to every neighbor I see outside (or leave them on their doorsteps). Short of eating one for every meal, I'm never going to get rid of these.

Wish me luck on the 'maters. Once this rain stops and it heats up again, I hope they ripen.

Interesting tidbit - 2 evenings ago a doe was in the garden eating green tomatoes!! :D
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Congrats!! You are way early then we are here. I have fresh peppers, want a trade??
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

We've got cukes and zukes, but so far no ripe tomatoes. I sure do love the fresh veggies and the first taste is always soooooooooooooooo good! :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

You ought to see her set-up on 4 sq. feet alongside the curb, the sunniest part of her property. Those prolific tomato plants are a living focal point in the front yard. :D
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

Good luck everyone! They are so good, we had 2 more for dinner tonight. Maybe it's the variety? Early I mean, not sure. Thanks Mary Ann :oops: Want some? I'll bring you some if you want, they are ripening a few a day. I'm sure I will be putting them out in a basket for the walkers by soon, I know we will not be able to eat them all if they all ripen.
New Topic Post Reply