Veggie Garden

Use this area to discuss herb and vegetable gardening.

Moderator: Chris_W

kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Veggie Garden

Post by kHT »

Have you planted yours yet? I again will ask that you plant some extra for the local food back or homeless shelter, please!!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
lilibeth

Post by lilibeth »

I don't have like a veggie garden but I surely want to have one.. We don't have space here in our graden for rows of vegetables.. We did try herbs like basil and chilis and peppers but we had them on pots..
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

I'm SO late!! My "Tilling Guy" came yesterday and tilled the garden with his big tiller. Now I can work it up with my small tiller and FINALLY get some things planted!

Karma, I saw in a local newsletter that our local food bank accepts donations from personal gardens, I think that's a great idea for my extra harvest after friends and family are sick and tired of getting them!

Thanks for the reminder.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Well Karma, to answer your first question "Have you planted yet?" . . . I can finally say YES!! Geez, I can't believe it will be June 1st tomorrow and I just got my 'maters and peppers in!! Shame on me! I also put in zucchini and spaghetti squash. And some Fennel. Does anyone grow fennel? When do I pull it? We like roasted fennel on with salads so this year when we saw it in the garden center, decided to try it but don't know anything about it.

They didn't have any butternut squash or good cucumbers, so I still have to find those and get them in.

And Karma, if there is extra, I know of one local shelter that will take it.
JaneG
kHT

Post by kHT »

Hey Jane, we have most of ours in and the zucs are up which is making DH happy. He can taste the fried ones already. Our corn is up with 99% germination! We were just afraid that last cooler days would hurt it. We won't tell him I sprayed Messenger on them will we? I planted tomatoe from seeds instead of buying plants this year. He is just shocked at what is out there and we have a little more room but haven't decided what to plant. I have peppers and since the brugs are not going out this year we may use their area.

We have several food places out here, our favorite is the Share House. My brother used to live on the streets, his choice and so for years now we have been taking food there as we knew that is where he eat. Lucky now we have him in a home!! But we still share, one year we made 12 dozen star cookies for them at Christmas!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
kHT

Post by kHT »

Update time, show me how yours are doing!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Nope! No Pics. Too embarrassed after seeing yours! :roll:
JaneG
kHT

Post by kHT »

JaneG, don't be embarrassed to show us, we all know the strange weather is causing problems. Matter of fact DH begged me to use messenger on our corn this year due to it was so small.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Okay Karma, here you go! It's much smaller than yours, but will give us an overflow of tomatoes and various squash before the season is over.

DH would love to have a big patch of sweet corn like yours, but I've managed to avoid that project! There are lots of roadside stands where I can get it fresh during the season. :D

Please don't tell me my tomato cages are up-side-down, everyone who sees the garden tells me that!! I KNOW!!! I used to be able to find a heavy gauge tomato cage that was wide at the bottom where you stuck it in the ground. But I haven't found them for years. So I just turn the normal ones over and use landscape staples to hold them down. When used the right way, skinny end down, they always get top heavy and fall over, so this is my solution! :roll:

The zucchini have just started to put on fruit, as have the roma tomatoes and jalepeno peppers. The bell peppers seem a little slow to get going, but we are finally getting some hot weather, after plenty of rain, so hopefully they will jump now. In the front are some cucumber seeds that are either very slow, or not going to come at all. The little trellis has english cucumbers just starting under it.

This view is the sunny part of the yard, and I very much dislike working in the sun, so there's not much garden or landscape here. The woodsey area is just to the left and the new shady garden is under way over there. Then way up in the front of the picture on the other side of the house, I've got beds on the north and east sides of the shop and little shed.
Attachments
VegGardenJuly2008.jpg
JaneG
kHT

Post by kHT »

Wow, what a great garden. I hear ya on the tomatoe cages, we have PVC pipe that we put in to hold the gages up. You zucs look better than ours, DH planted 6 each of zucs and cucs. All we got was on zuc and 2 cucs so we will just have enough. A lot of stuff didn't come up due to our colder than normal weather. We have corn coming up all over the yard this year since some one is feeding the tree rats corn.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
DryGulch

Post by DryGulch »

Tree Rats... :lol:
DryGulch

Post by DryGulch »

Tree Rats... :lol:
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Picked a zucchini and 3 jalepenos this afternoon. They'll be in our salads for supper! :D
JaneG
kHT

Post by kHT »

Look what a couple of 90 degree days did. :eek:
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Yowzers!!! Once it gets going, the corn LOVES the heat!
JaneG
kHT

Post by kHT »

I sprayed it with messenger today and we are to get up to 90 again by this weekend. Can't wait to see what it does!!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
kHT

Re: Veggie Garden

Post by kHT »

Current Photo is in order!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
New Topic Post Reply