Onions

Use this area to discuss herb and vegetable gardening.

Moderator: Chris_W

Gardentoad
USDA Zone: 5

Onions

Post by Gardentoad »

I planted onions for the first time this year.
I planted yellow sweet and red from sets.
They have only been in the ground about 3 weeks and many of them are sending up flower buds.
I don't know what I did wrong to have them bolt so soon.

Should I go ahead and pull the bud off or pull up the whole thing or just let it go and wait on it to die down?
Never before have so few with so much promised to take away so much from so many and then laugh their asses off as the so many with so little vote for the so few with so much.

---James Pence
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Gardentoad, I just cut their tops off to sign to them to grow below. I don't do onions much due to where my garden spot is located and the heavy clay we have.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Gardentoad

Post by Gardentoad »

Do you cut the whole top of or just the flower shoot?
If all of it do yoou make it even with the ground?

I have heavy clay too but I mixed in compost, peat moss and vermiculite. I raised the bed about 6 inches.

I'm trying to grow everything I put in my salsa this year.
Never before have so few with so much promised to take away so much from so many and then laugh their asses off as the so many with so little vote for the so few with so much.

---James Pence
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

I just cut the top flower part off but I guess you could cut
it off at the ground? This is our second year with them and we really enjoyed them last year.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

I'd just cut it off under the flower and hope it continues to grow. If you cut it short, it won't be able to get the sun's rays to grow more onion below.

Sorry, I've never had mine bolt. Did you make it too fertile or add fertilizer?

I have really sandy soil, which onions love. THey don't like to be watered too often either. IF i have manure I put it down under where they're roots are planted so they grow to it, but not in their soil around them. I do fertilize when I first put them in the ground with regular old k-grow or what I have. Then water only as needed.

Maybe the soils just TOO rich for them and they're flowering instead of growing roots as an annual will do?
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Gardentoad

Post by Gardentoad »

I cut off the bloom stalks. It may be because it got warm, highs in the 70s, then cool highs in the 50s, then warm, then cool and now warm for good so I may have planted them too early.

We have had very wet weather here latly too. The last two weeks it rained 2 or 3 days each week. It rained all day yesterday and pretty hard today untill afternoon. They are in a raised bed but clay soil with peat stays damp a while so they might just all rot.

---James Pence
New Topic Post Reply