Transplanting Asparagus

Use this area to discuss herb and vegetable gardening.

Moderator: Chris_W

hostanquilts
USDA Zone: 5

Transplanting Asparagus

Post by hostanquilts »

I have a raised area out front that gets full sun & it has Yucca, 2 rose bushes, a verigated smaller bush (don't know the name of it), a few daylillies & flowers, ornamental grass & asparagus has decided to grow there. At first there was only a couple, but now there must be a dozen plants. I'd like to transplant them, but I'm not sure when or how to transplant them. Does anyone here know or can give me advice or where to look.
TIA,
Jan

"Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble
remembering how to fly."

My Hosta List
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Asparagus roots go down to China, don't think you can transplant them successfully. That might have been the farmer's wife garden before we were born. :D
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
Hosta12_Ia

Post by Hosta12_Ia »

I bought some asparagus plants at a garage sale, of all places. Looks like they just dg up the plants with lots of soil. I brought them home, plopped them in the ground and tada, they grew!
Jo
The Garden is a Mirror of the Heart
Nathalie23

Post by Nathalie23 »

I bought baby asparagus this spring. I follow the instructions of the grower: Dig a hole of 8 inch. Put 1 inch of compost and some ground bone (don't know if it has sense in english....). Place the asparagus around 9 inch of each other. Put 1 or 2 inch of ground. Wait to see the plant and gradually, put ground over untill it's the same level than the garden. For the vegetable, don't cut any asparagus next spring, only a few the year after, a little more the year after and all the asparagus you want the fifth year. Here, we have to stop collecting the asparagus after June, 24th and let the plant make their reserve of energy for the next year. I don't know for you... :wink:
Nathalie

I usually speak french so sorry for my mistakes in english
Nathalie23 Hosta List
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Jan, do you think some seed blew in there, or are they mature type roots?
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

Asparagus do NOT transplant easily ... their root structure must not get damaged or they will not survive
If you try to move the plants you will almost certainly kill them :(
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

I tried to transplant some old plants from my aunt's garden when she moved. From a wheelbarrow full of dug plants, I only had a few starts of it come back the next year.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
hostanquilts

Post by hostanquilts »

Some of them are big & fat, about the size of my thumb & others about the size of my little finger. Being a raised bed, It probably wouldn't be hard to dig down & get most all of their roots. Where they are at, it's hard to see when they are big enough to eat & therefore get too big before I see them for harvest, so I guess if I killed them by transplanting them.. it wouldn't be a big lose.

I need to move some of the plants out of that bed as they are starting to crowd each other anyway.
Jan

"Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble
remembering how to fly."

My Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply