carrot seeds

Use this area to discuss herb and vegetable gardening.

Moderator: Chris_W

Gardentoad
USDA Zone: 5

carrot seeds

Post by Gardentoad »

Is it too early to plant carrot seeds?
The package states "After the danger of frost has past." My last frost date is May 15th. The bed can eaisly be covered if we have a frost. I'm more concerned with if the soil is warm enough to germinate the seeds.I I have read about people growing them in cold frames during the winter, but they planted them in the fall when the soil was warm.
Never before have so few with so much promised to take away so much from so many and then laugh their asses off as the so many with so little vote for the so few with so much.

---James Pence
JaneG

Re: carrot seeds

Post by JaneG »

I don't put anything out quite this early, and the average last frost date around here is mid-April. It will be early May before I get any seeds in the ground. However, carrot seeds are cheap and the package usually has a lot because they are so small. So go ahead and plant some, can't hurt. If it's a mild Spring for you and there aren't any hard frosts, you'll be enjoying fresh carrots before anyone else! :D
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
Gardentoad

Post by Gardentoad »

Thanks. :D
Never before have so few with so much promised to take away so much from so many and then laugh their asses off as the so many with so little vote for the so few with so much.

---James Pence
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

The best temperature for highest quality roots is between 60 and 70 degrees F according to some sources.
We are going to put some in on the north fence line in the raised bed due to the other garden space is over
our septic tank and blow ground crops are a no no over there.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
HomeMadeMom
USDA Zone: 7

Post by HomeMadeMom »

I put some in some planters to start, but I'm wondering if they'll grow. I dont think we will get any more frost, but its not usually this cold this time of year still. (40's-50's) Oh well.

HMM.
New Topic Post Reply