Container sizes?

Use this area to discuss herb and vegetable gardening.

Moderator: Chris_W

Gardentoad
USDA Zone: 5

Container sizes?

Post by Gardentoad »

I have found lots of info about growing veggies in containers but the articles I've read will say use a "large" pot.
I have large pots from 3 gallon to a couple tree sized ones.
I have extra tomatoes , mellons squash and bell peppers. Thy are now in gallon nursery pots. The mellons and squash I'd like to keep in a greenhouse so I can extend the season and not move them.
I have a couple extra cabbage and a brussel sprout in pots too. Will the be okay with afternoon sun?

My pots are mostly the black nursery pots but I can paint them if black is too hot.
Never before have so few with so much promised to take away so much from so many and then laugh their asses off as the so many with so little vote for the so few with so much.

---James Pence
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Container sizes?

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

Last year I grew tomatoes in 10 quart pots an peppers in 6 quart pots and both were too small. I know peppers like it cool, but don't know about the others. But anyway, the tomatoes were so rootbound half way through the summer that I had to water them twice a day. I didn't have the space for pots any larger, and still had a huge crop of tomatoes, so if you don't have bigger pots just be prepared to water a little more often.
Gardentoad
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Gardentoad »

Thanks for the response Chris. I only have 2 extra roma tomatoes in pots so I will try to find some room in the ground yet, somewhere.
I have 8 extra red bell peppers.I'd like to line them up on the cement driveway on the east side of a hedge. I just can't compost them and I already gave peppers to everyone I know. I bought a new dehydrator this spring so I can dry peppers for winter. Last year I dried tomatoes with sea salt and they were very good.

Does anyone here do squash or mellons in pots?
Never before have so few with so much promised to take away so much from so many and then laugh their asses off as the so many with so little vote for the so few with so much.

---James Pence
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

I have never done any squash or melons in pots. Not sure how that would work since they are vines, and put out those long runners which the fruit develops on. It will be interesting to see how that goes. Please keep us updated.

Ginger
Did I mention I grow my Hosta in pots?
lazygardner

Post by lazygardner »

Ditto what Ginger said, and if you can manage some pics that would be even better.
Before criticizing someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them you will be a mile away and have their shoes!
beautifulgardens

Post by beautifulgardens »

Yeah pics are strongly encouraged. Btw do most of you prefer roma tomatoes or cherry? Which are easier to grow?
New Topic Post Reply