Vegetable garden today

Use this area to discuss herb and vegetable gardening.

Moderator: Chris_W

Pandora
USDA Zone: z5 OH

Vegetable garden today

Post by Pandora »

We have picked a couple Early Girl tomatoes & lettuce so far. I have a great crop of sweet peppers this year.
Some are fist sized, but have not turned yet. Favs are Red Beauty and Mandarin.

Kohlrabi are golf ball sized, cukes are about 3", tiny beans about 1". We should really be harvesting a lot
in the next 2 weeks. yum yum. :)

We only use 20' X40', so don't grow corn anymore

kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Re: Vegetable garden today

Post by kHT »

Thank you for sharing your garden, it looks great! Enjoy the fruits of your labor.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

That's a nice garden, especially with the flowers.

Are you protecting beans or peppers under that row cover? We finally put up a 6-foot high fence made of bird netting to keep out the deer and bunnies. Looks like you have some woods in the background there. Do you have critter problems?
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
Pandora

Post by Pandora »

Thanks KHT.

Jane, we have almost all woods. The only place we have sun is in front of the house down by the road. We have most every Ohio critter & live across from an 800 acre State Park.
The covered row is green beans. The last couple years we have had trouble (only with the green beans) sometimes with digging in the row & throwing bean seeds and tiny seedlings all over, nibbling on some plants and the stupid white cabbage moth laying eggs. The netting has worked for us.

The deer have only ever eaten 1 hosta and the front yard is full of hostas. It surprises me, but I think what saves us IS the park, which must help feed them. If the deer were hungry enough, they would eat. Last year I sneaked (outside DH's sight) some corn for the deer when they came to the birdfeeders in winter. ha They repaid me for trimming back my Oak Leaf Hydrangea. DH had been nagging me to trim back and liked it the way it was.
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Very nice garden, Pandora! I ended up planting some things here at the house later in the season, so my plants aren't as large as they should be. Luckily my DH has a garden planted out at the old farmhouse, so we will get some more produce soon. :wink:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Beautiful garden, Pandora! And the surrounding scenery is lovely also.

Is that the road or your driveway in the pic?
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Pandora

Post by Pandora »

Newto, thx. We only have 1 garden.

Eastwood, that is the driveway up to the house in the first picture. (Pointing South)

Here are some other angles. After the pictures open up in Photoshop, you can click again to make them 100%.

This one is from the driveway side across the yard. You can see some of the road. (East-NE)

This one toward the road. Across the road is the Park. (North)

The last one is similar to the first only more into the yard. You can see the hosta beds around the various tree groupings.
New Topic Post Reply