Chipmonks and corn?

Use this area to discuss herb and vegetable gardening.

Moderator: Chris_W

Gardentoad
USDA Zone: 5

Chipmonks and corn?

Post by Gardentoad »

Can chipmonks slip through chickenwire?
I want to plant some sweet corn this year but the chipmonks ate off of every ear the last time I tried it.
Never before have so few with so much promised to take away so much from so many and then laugh their asses off as the so many with so little vote for the so few with so much.

---James Pence
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Re: Chipmonks and corn?

Post by Spider »

Yes they can. They are the same size as mice. How about hardware cloth? The rectangle shaped 1" x 1/2" open one. That could work, but they do climb too, they did to get into my feeders through the squirrel barrier.
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
Gardentoad

Post by Gardentoad »

Thanks Spider.
I probably just wont grow corn then. Hardware cloth cost more than chicken wire and I would have to build a huge "box" over my garden bed so they couldnt get in the top. It just wouldn't be worth the expense.

If anybody knows any other way to keep them out, please let me know.
I will not have an outdoor cat. I attract birds to my yard and cats will kill them too.
Never before have so few with so much promised to take away so much from so many and then laugh their asses off as the so many with so little vote for the so few with so much.

---James Pence
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Last year we had good luck with an idea my husband came up with.

At Menards we bought a roll of bird netting and some 8-foot garden stakes. We put the stakes around the garden about 6 or 8 or 10 feet apart. Then we unrolled the bird netting, which is maybe 8 or 10 feet wide, and draped it up against the stakes. He used little zip ties to tie the netting to the stakes and I used landscape fabric staples to hold the netting to the ground.

The rabbits couldn't get under or through and the deer could feel it and didn't even try to get through. A more aggressive animal, like a raccoon, if it was really motivated, could tear through the netting, but that never happened.

The bird netting is very fine netting with 1/2" squares. This worked great because unless you got really close, you couldn't even see it or tell there was a fence of any kind, it was nearly invisible. At the end of the season we pulled out all the stakes, with the netting still attached, rolled it up and this spring we will unroll it and put it up again.

We have 2 veggie garden plots, we did this with one of them last year (protecting the peppers and tomatoes). This year we will do the other plot also because the raccoons and dear ate most of our corn.

Good luck, I know those little critters can be pesky!
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
New Topic Post Reply