Have tomato and pepper plants 3" tall

Use this area to discuss herb and vegetable gardening.

Moderator: Chris_W

Pandora
USDA Zone: z5 OH

Have tomato and pepper plants 3" tall

Post by Pandora »

I started my plants 2-3 weeks ago. They are looking great! I usually buy new seeds every other year, but kept forgetting to order this
year. The seeds were 2008 so I put 2-3 seeds in every cell. I think they all germinated! Now I may have to do some thinning. Oh, do
I hate to do that. They are so determined to grow.

But I am relieved to know that the seeds are good for longer than I thought.
Let Spring begin!!
kaylyred
USDA Zone: 5a

Re: Have tomato and pepper plants 3" tall

Post by kaylyred »

Good to know that the seeds last longer! Did yo do anything special with them to store them?

My tomatoes (cherries and Romas) are looking pretty good right now, too. I planted them at the end of February. They would be over 6" tall, I'm sure, but I repotted them and buried them just past the cotyledons to strengthen their root systems. I'll probably have to transplant them again before too long...again burying the stems. Hopefully, by the time I put them outside they'll be nice and bushy. And maybe I'll get early fruit, too!

The irony is that I hate tomatoes. I love growing them, and I even love how they look, but I don't like the taste of them raw. (Cooked in sauces they're just fine.) My son and husband, however, adore them and eat the cherry toms by the handful like they're grapes. :)
~ Karen

Check out Petiole Junction, my gardening blog!
See my little hosta list
I've also got a garden photo gallery.
Pandora
USDA Zone: z5 OH

Post by Pandora »

Karen,
I just store my seeds in orginal package in a leftover plastic jar with a screw lid and add a few grains of rice.
Then I put them in a bottom cupboard. No really special treatment.

Wow, that is great. You are really ahead of me with your plants. Too bad you do not like tomatoes. DH and
I love them and eat so many we get tired of them. :) Those mini ones are like grapes.
kaylyred
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by kaylyred »

I give credit to the seed starting system I used. Seems like every seed I planted germinated (well, probably not all of them, but it sure felt like it when I was repotting!) and grew like crazy. I used the Burpee Ultimate Growing System. They cost about $20 each (I bought two) but they have 70 cells, and from those 140 (total) cells I got more plants than I know what to do with, or than I have room for. :lol:
~ Karen

Check out Petiole Junction, my gardening blog!
See my little hosta list
I've also got a garden photo gallery.
beautifulgardens

Post by beautifulgardens »

That is great, I hope your tomatoes turn out to be delicious. Well I suppose you will have to ask your husband and son for that! :)
New Topic Post Reply