Time to Start the 2010 Veggie Garden?

Use this area to discuss herb and vegetable gardening.

Moderator: Chris_W

beautifulgardens

Re: Time to Start the 2010 Veggie Garden?

Post by beautifulgardens »

gardengirl13,

A raised bed just for corn would be nice; I hope you are able to do it soon. I think you will like this tasty recipe from our Triscuit site:
Easy "Baked" Tomatoes
Prep time: 5 min

Total time: 20 min

Makes: 4 servings
What you need

* 4 tomatoes, cut in half
* 1/4 cup KRAFT Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing
* 1/4 cup KRAFT Grated Parmesan Cheese

Make it

* PREHEAT grill to medium heat. Place tomatoes, cut-sides up, in disposable foil pan. Drizzle with dressing; sprinkle with cheese.

* PLACE pan on grate of grill; close lid.

* GRILL 15 min. or until tomatoes are soft and cheese is lightly browned.

Kraft Kitchens Tips

How to Use Your Oven
Preheat oven to 350°F. Place tomato halves, cut-sides up, in 13x9-inch baking dish. Top with dressing and cheese as directed. Bake 15 to 20 min. or until tomatoes are soft and cheese is lightly browned.

Special Extra
Sprinkle with 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil or parsley before grilling as directed.

Here is the Link: http://www.kraftbrands.com/homefarming/ ... atoes.aspx

Let me know if you decide to add another raised bed garden!
gardengirl13
USDA Zone: 5-6

Post by gardengirl13 »

yeah I'm currently saving some plastic pots from some annuals I've bought this year, hoping to use them next year for seeds. Although with my lack of space I think my dad will be taking over the seed starting! :lol:

Getting extremely frustrated though! This darn weather, going from 78 degrees during the day one day to hard freeze warnings two days later! My poor babies! I thought I had lost a couple plants to wind and cold (just two potted sweet potato vines) but after a day and a night in the garage they're perky again! We spent an hour and a half covering everything last night. And still couldn't get everything! We're going to buy sheets at good will to use since we didn't have enough empty pots and old towels and sheets to use. I woke up at 4:30 am worried about everyone outside and got up to check and it luckily only got down to 35! But the moon was very pretty! We woke up to uncover everything before we left for work to see that with the 25mph winds most everything was uncovered! ugh! luckily all is fine with the weather so it didn't matter much.

But the veggies and herbs look great! Everything is growing well and getting big! The peppers are about the same, their second true leaves are doing ok. The tomatoes are getting bushy from being outside. Can't wait to get them in the ground! Normally they'd be in this coming weekend, but unless this weather changes for the better they'll be sitting on the deck another week.
Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted

To see my photos please visit http://www.pbase.com/gardengirl13
gardengirl13
USDA Zone: 5-6

Post by gardengirl13 »

oh and that grilled tomato recipe sounds divine!

the corn recipe is pull the husks down but don't remove tie them back with cooking twine, grill on each side for about 3 minutes just getting the kernels browned (unless you prefer them blackened) slather them with a bit of mayo then sprinkle with parm cheese then chili powder. Yummy!!
Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted

To see my photos please visit http://www.pbase.com/gardengirl13
beautifulgardens

Post by beautifulgardens »

I’m glad you liked the baked tomatoes! Thanks for the corn on the cob recipe, it sounds like a must the next time I get the grill going. Hopefully the weather will stabilize soon so you can get your tomato plant in the ground. I am happy to hear that your veggies and herbs are growing well. If possible, I would love to see some pictures of your home farm. In fact, make sure to add your home farm to our interactive map so you can share tips and advice with other local farmers and track your own farm’s progress!
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

I sure hope everyone's gardens produced plenty to put away for the winter months. Again thank you Jane, I just don't get here as I would like anymore.

Just last week we got to eat our first red tomato, just heavenly. As you can see our garden is way behind this year but we sure can't complain. Our corn was
only 4" tall on the fourth of July but Mother Nature sure kicked it into high gear with the warmer spurts of heat later in July. We currently are picking corn and have a
half shelf in the freezer put up! Love fresh veggies from the garden! Thank also for the grilled tomato recipe, we are going to have to try this!!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

Hey Karma! Enjoy those tomatoes, mine didn't do so well. We enjoyed plenty of zucchini, cucumbers and yellow summer squash. Like me, they fizzle out in the late summer heat, so they are finished now. I still have all sorts of peppers . . . banana, bell, hot, etc. I always have good luck with peppers. Not such good luck with the tomatoes this year. Our spring was great for the hostas, plenty of regular rain all through spring and early summer. But the tomatoes need some nice hot days, the vines really suffered due to the lack of dry days and lack of heat. I only had two plants that gave me any tomatoes. Usually I am able to put up lots of salsa and stewed toms, but this year I got a grand total of FOUR PINTS of stewed tomatoes and no salsa at all!

Still in the garden are my winter squash . . . butternut, acorn and spaghetti squash. We love our garden squash! Before the first frost we will bring them into a small room off the garage where they will stay cool and dark, and we will be able to eat them through January. Potatoes are in the garden waiting to be dug also. I've been digging them as needed for eating, but will get them all dug before the weather turns.

The corn didn't do well either, but stalks are still in the garden. Now that fall is here I will cut them down and make a "corn shock" in the front yard for decoration, with a nice autumn ribbon and some pumpkins placed around it.

Another veggie season almost wrapped up. It will soon be time to clear off the garden and spread the shredded fall leaves on it, where they will sit all winter and then get tilled into the dirt at the begging of the 2011 season!
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Hey Jane, I tried something different this year with our tomatoes. I used all the tomato cages for the peonies so I took PVC pipe about 4 1/2 feet and pounded them into the ground
a foot. When I watered I would fill each of the pipes with water and tried not getting it on the plants. I tied the plant up with cording and was surprised how well they did for our strange summer. I also poured the fertilizer in the pipes and feed the roots that way. We have some huge matos this year, green but huge! Plenty of zuc and cucs here and the beans went wild along with the cooler crop of snap peas.

As for our weather this year and the hostas, well the story is sad. We had a wet spring with tons of hail and most of them were shredded. They got huge but looked like they were put through the shredder. Let's just say no one is allowed to see the back yard. :???: Whatever is eating them stripped a Rodie.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
New Topic Post Reply