Choosing and growing garlic

Use this area to discuss herb and vegetable gardening.

Moderator: Chris_W

ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Choosing and growing garlic

Post by ViolaAnn »

Hi folks,

I've never grown my own garlic but I'm getting really tired of seeing nothing but garlic from China in the grocery stores and have decided the time has come.

I know next to nothing about growing garlic and was stunned by the number of varieties when I went shopping and virtually no instructions on the packages either.

Therefore I'm open to all types of advice about the different types of garlic and how to go about growing it in an Ottawa garden.

Thanks,
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Re: Choosing and growing garlic

Post by kHT »

Ann, I hear ya on things coming in from other places. We grow garlic for the moles and other under ground critters to keep them out of the yard. We don't eat them just grow them.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

You can just put some of the sprouted pieces an inch .. oh 2 centimeters into the ground.. they will grow
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
boops
USDA Zone: 6b

Post by boops »

I tried it once-the scapes grew but the garlic was soo small and useless. Don't think it got enough sun. but it comes back year after year because I never dug up all the heads. So this year I dug them up and planted them in the far rear of my yard where my nightshade veggies are to keep out the voles, rabbits and insane squirrels. So far so good.
My Hosta List

Do one thing everyday that makes you happy
New Topic Post Reply