Who is Growing a Veggie Garden?

Use this area to discuss herb and vegetable gardening.

Moderator: Chris_W

boops
USDA Zone: 6b

Who is Growing a Veggie Garden?

Post by boops »

Always Interesting to know who is growing what.
I'm growing Four different types of Tomatoes-2 Heinz plants, 1 San Marzano, 1-Banana Legs and of course 1 Beefsteak. A sixth Tomato Plant is a Patio Tomato-all have flowers setting.
and I am also growing peppers: 1-Island Hellfire Chili Pepper (for my son in law) 1-Ancho Pepper, 2-Cal Wonder Peppers, 1-Red Pepper, 1-Yellow Pepper. All peppers have flowers and some have small peppers already.
Also 2-black beauty Eggplants. And the standard Zucchini, Butternut Squash and Acorn Squash.
I use Tomato Maker fertilizer as it has Calcium and prevents blossom end rot and other diseases.
Also growing raspberries.
What are you growing?
My Hosta List

Do one thing everyday that makes you happy
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Re: Who is Growing a Veggie Garden?

Post by kHT »

Sorry Boop, just been to busy to sit down and post! Each year we do a veggie garden and always plant an extra row for the local share house. But this year we decided to pass and I allowed DH to do the garden on his own!! Well that was a big misstake and not much is growing plus the weeds were so bad early in the spring and I used round up on some, well I hit the corn!! We usually have corn up to the gutters but this year it was only 5 feet and a few rows. DH thinks it was short due to I have run out of messenger and they no longer make it.
We have cut back to 6 varieties of tomato due to me being allergic to them, cucs, zucs, peas and corn. The peppers were started to late so hopefully they will set fruit in the greenhouse this winter. We also do kiwi, grapes, blueberries and strawberries.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
boops

Post by boops »

Hi there-I do one every year. This year with the high humidity-my tomatoes got specks. something ate my eggplant and the peppers in the ground weren't too productive. The tomatoes and peppers that I started myself from seed did very well but that was only three plants. The squash kept starting to develop and then they fell off the stems. Next year its all potted on my patio. I bought non GMO seed for container tomatoes, eggplant, peppers and even a dwarf version of Butternut Squash. Will try zuc. in the ground-thats it. To much work and money doing the one in the back of the yard only to get damaged produce. I had even bought a sprinkler fence which waters at ground level so the foliage wouldn't get wet. So disappointing. Won't be buying veggie plants from that site again. My patio veggies did just fine. Live and learn.
My Hosta List

viktoria

Post by viktoria »

Didn't see this before.

I have six tomato plants (three beefsteak and three supposed to be an earlier variety, but all started producing at the same time in early August), six Ace pepper plants, which started producing in early July (my preference is New Ace, which produces best in zone 5, but couldn't find any plants), five zucchini plants, which produce enough to feed five families, and a 20' row of cucumbers (a packet of pickling cuke seeds plus a few gift plants of Marketmore). Patio tomatoes in two large containers produced the first ripe tomato just yesterday. I also planted and sowed basil and parsley in containers; all basil except the purple type (one surviving plant) has disappeared.

Every other day I take a boxful of vegetables to nearby Amish families. We might use 5% for ourselves.

Viktoria
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
boops

Post by boops »

Thats great! I have been picking tomatoes since early July, the peppers are taking forever to turn yellow/red/orange. I don't have enough space to grow that many veggie plants. The ones that produced the best for me (not spotted) was the Heinz plants I grew from seed. The pepper plants that are producing are Multi colored sweet peppers and cal-wonder. I don't know why my squash failed this year-I am determined to grow them next year. My Island hellfire chilli pepper plant has about 100 chilis on it, just now starting to get red. (those are for my son in law) I have tried cucs 2 years in a row-nothing. I think all the plants needed more sun-they got about 6 full hours of full sun. Or maybe the soil isn't right. I'm doing mostly containers next year to give the ground soil a rest for a couple of years.
Did you have a lot of humid days? Because we did-I'm blaming the humidity on the tiny black specks on the bulk of my tomatoes. I can't figure out what else it could be. It wasn't any blight or end rot, just tiny black dots.
My Hosta List

New Topic Post Reply