Winter sowing

Discuss greenhouses and general propagating topics. For propagating a specific type of plant, post in that specific plant forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

Deb118

Winter sowing

Post by Deb118 »

Has anyone done this? If so, how? I am thinking of trying it this year :D
"Hold fast to dreams for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly." -Langston Hughes
gardenkat

Post by gardenkat »

Yes, I did it last year. One thing I learned is to go with better potting soil this year. I bought several different kinds last year and the cheap stuff got all hard and crusty, the seeds planted in it didn't grow. But I had success with several other things planted in better soil. The other really important thing is to remember to label the containers! I did a few on a day I was really rushed and thought "I'll label them later" and of course, by "later" I forgot what I had planted. :oops: But I'm looking forward to WSing again this year.
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Good point, Gardenkat. Never go with those bargain brand potting soils. I bought a bunch of it a couple years ago and wound up using it for fill, it was so dense. Now I choose soilless pro blends or seed starter mix.
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

Whatcha gonna grow Debs?
I might wanna copy you :D
Deb118

Post by Deb118 »

Anything I can Sam. DH is wanting to get my green house up this fall. Might as well put it to use ;)
"Hold fast to dreams for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly." -Langston Hughes
HeatherMac

Post by HeatherMac »

Hi Deb,
A few tips ..don't waste your money on peat pots...to start my seeds I use the plastic boxes that berries come in . A square of wet newspaper in the bottom keeps the soil from falling out...I find using plastic cuts down on mold..also a thin layer of pearlite and a sprinkle of cinnamon prevents damping off.
I've been growing from seed in the greenhouse for years, if you have any questions I'd be glad to answer...
macgarden@sympatico.ca
Heather
bsmcwilliams

Post by bsmcwilliams »

Cinnamon will work for antifungal? I think that would be better than smelly dangerous chemicals for sure. :beer:
- Bartolemei
"Not all who wander are lost." J. R. R. Tolkein
Indiana Gardener

Post by Indiana Gardener »

Hi all!

Been a while since I've posted here, been busy lately. Just wanted to drop a note that Heather is right.
I use cinnamon on my hybrid Sarracenia seeds I make to prevent damping off. It works great. If anyone knows how wet Sarracenia require their medium to be and how prone they are to damping off, that's a true testament to how well it works.
Bye for now,
<i><b><font size="6" color="#0000cd" face="hansonshand">Indy</font></b></i>
GiniaC

Post by GiniaC »

So you just sprinkle the cinnamonon top of te soil after planting the seeds? Interesting indeed!
This is my first year trying the winter sow thing and so far with good results. I just checked today and many of the flats are sprouting. I've got poppies, golden alyssum, babies breath, and a few others popping.
BARB

Post by BARB »

I was looking for somewhere to start a winter sowing thread, and Ginny you found it.......good! I have sproutage now, and I found a few mistakes I made, forgot to cut drainage holes in 2 containers....don't know how that will go. Ginny, I am growing your teeny tiny carnations, somewhere, I found the tag for marking them out in the yard.....cats? Also made the mistake on the soil, used top soil not seed starting, still up for grabls on that one....we shall see.

All in all, pretty succesful and I think I will do it again next winter......thanks Nikkal for all the info on it.......
BARB
ZONE 5 SE MI
GiniaC

Post by GiniaC »

Barb, I have no idea what there called. They're some kind of dianthus but when I did a search I couldn't find them anywhere. I got the plant in a local nursery. Are they sprouting for you? I didn't even winter sow any of them, I just sprinkled the seed in one of my beds in the fall. I hope I get a few more of them, they're pretty looking.
BARB

Post by BARB »

Ginny,not sure if they are or not....have about 20 different ws containers on the deck, all have markers in them. However, I found the marker for the carnation out in the yard, no idea what box it came out of :oops:
BARB
ZONE 5 SE MI
GiniaC

Post by GiniaC »

I NEED HELP! A few of winter sown containers have sprouted, but, the sprouts look almost white instead of green in color. What's going on? Not enough sun?
Nikkal

Post by Nikkal »

Ginny, have you opened up the slits or holes in the covers? They may be getting a little sunburned. Even though it may still seem cool outside, the sun shining through the plastic covers can get quite warm. Open up the ventilation holes some, and if they're in direct sun all day, try moving them to an area with pm shade.

Nik
~The Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth~ Oriah Mountain Dreamer
GiniaC

Post by GiniaC »

Nikkal, I opened up the slits in the plastic already, but our temps went down drastically the last couple of days. I'm afraid to open them too much. We're in the twenties at night. I'll try what you said and see if there's any change. Thanks! :D
michael_QvQ

Post by michael_QvQ »

Winter sowing worked for so many seeds... iris, hems, grasses, lilacs, lilies, sedums, hosta...! I will sow more next winter without a doubt!
How about yours?... Deb?
Attachments
wintersow.jpg
Deb118

Post by Deb118 »

:o Are those pop bottles Michael? My attempt didnt do diddly SQUAT! :evil: I did mine in plastic pans in baggies. Maybe I'll try it in the bottles next year. Or not :???:
michael_QvQ

Post by michael_QvQ »

Sorry it did not work out for you Deb :( ...

Yes, I recycled .5 litre water and 2 liter pop bottles.
I really enjoyed the whole wintersow experience and the early results are extremely encouraging... :D
Attachments
wintersown 42404.jpg
Denise_in_MI

Post by Denise_in_MI »

mkay, I am needing a lesson here. How do you do that? When do you start? Which exposure do they have?
Soummer
USDA Zone: 4-5

Post by Soummer »

Yes, please do tell, in detail!
Soummer, formerly Janet D.
My Page

New Topic Post Reply