Winter sowing

Discuss greenhouses and general propagating topics. For propagating a specific type of plant, post in that specific plant forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

michael_QvQ

Post by michael_QvQ »

There is a forum for wintersowing at the other place...
but briefly, by creating microclimates or minigreenhouses in recyclables, we can mimic mother natures freeze/thaw cycles and germinate most any hardy seed many weeks before they would normally... :D

These were sown between the winter solstice and early feb and left untouched in morning light until now... :cool:
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

O.C> is a slow reader !

Post by oldcoot »

O.C. knows that this was a long time ago, but he just found it. BIG QUESTION. Do you cut the tops off the plastic drink bottle when you want to re-plant the seedlings ?? O.C. would love to start some Zinna, Coleus, Salvia, Celosia and Amaranthus early this year.. He planted a ton of seed last year, but obviously used the WRONG type of soil. DISASTER !!!What is a good brand of "planting soil"?? I just saw a Miracle Grow ad for a potting soil with moisture absorbing crystals already in it. If he used that would he need to add Vermiculite ?? Also, do you "cap" off the drink bottles or leave them open ??

A really wating to know O.C. ...even IF HE IS A YEAR late !!
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
gardenkat

Winter Sowing

Post by gardenkat »

Hey Old Coot,
I just read your post about winter sowing at the Hallson's forum. I have done it for two years now with good success. I don't know about the pop bottles because I use plastic 1 gal. milk jugs and salad dressing jars that I bring home from work. Here is a link to the winter sowing forum. Lots of good info. Also, at the top of the page is a link to winter sowing FAQs. http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/wtrsow/
Good luck & have fun!
Katie gardenkat
When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.
--John Muir
oldcoot

Hi there !

Post by oldcoot »

You are not alone. O.C. has spent the last several days re-reading every post in each forum. WOW. What beautiful Pictures and excellent suggestions. Checked it out and GOT some good ideas. THANKS for the URL

That Funny and Friendly Old Coot saying,"Keep planting those FLOWERS and POSTING those PICTURES of NATURE!!"
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
michael_QvQ

Post by michael_QvQ »

Gardenkat's link should provide all the info one needs to wintersow successfully...

OC, I always use the best soil I can get for growing- you can lose a year of growing time to save what...a couple a dollars?!... time is our most precious commodity!
As for the containers, bottles and milk jugs work about the same for me... I cut them in half, punch drain holes in the bottoms, and fill with good soil, then set in a tray of water overnight. Next day, plant the seeds and put the tops back on the containers by squeezing them into the bottoms, but, never cap them because they need air and mositure and would get overheated. Set your containers in some morning light and wait for spring... Enjoy :D
oldcoot

That is exactly what I NEEDED to know !

Post by oldcoot »

That is exactly what I wanted to know. Will it it exactly THIS way !

That Funny, and Friendly Old Coot, named John
gardenkat

Post by gardenkat »

OOOps! :oops: I meant to send that as a PM to Old Coot. Oh well, this way more people can see the link and get the info.
When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.
--John Muir
oldcoot

One more question

Post by oldcoot »

After you have put the top back on ,do you leave the containers in the tray where the water was ? Do you then water them again throughout the winter ?? I want to try some Coleus and Moon Vine this way................

That Friendly and Funny Old Coot named John
Soummer
USDA Zone: 4-5

Post by Soummer »

Just wanted to say, "Thanks for the link and my new winter obsession!" :lol: Gosh, I can hardly wait! I think I will start some for the winter solstice, but save most of them till after the holidays. Probably start some each month, just to see how it ends up. Now just to decide what to plant!
Soummer, formerly Janet D.
My Page

michael_QvQ

Post by michael_QvQ »

OC, the containers should not set in water all winter... just water enough to keep them moist- condensation on the inside tells you everything is just right! And, regarding the seeds, hardy seeds are the key for winter sowing... coleus is rather tender and the ones I started inside did much better, but you are warmer there- so give em a try. :)
Us gardeners are an addictive bunch. :wink: I started several hundred different plants with wintersowing! Try some of all your seeds Janet! :D
Soummer
USDA Zone: 4-5

Post by Soummer »

Just bumping this up because the winter solstice isn't so far off now. I've been saving containers, but haven't really got any seeds yet. I do have some, but I'd really like to figure out what I want where before I go planting dozens/hundreds of plants! And I know I won't have to time or mental facility to do so until after the impending holidays. :snow:
Soummer, formerly Janet D.
My Page

gardenkat

Post by gardenkat »

I start my WSing on the winter solstice-only two days away! I've got my milk jugs and other containers ready with holes punched in the tops & bottoms. I brought one of the big bags of potting soil in from outside to thaw. Now I just have to go through my seeds and pick out the chosen ones for the special day. I've got a bottle of wine to sip while I sow, and when I'm done I'm going to make and enjoy a fire in the backyard. Yippeee! Is anyone else as excited about this as I am?

The first set of seeds are seeds of remembrance and should be seeds of flowers that remind us of someone we knew and loved but who is now gone from our lives forever.
The second set of seeds should be for plants that will make fruit or nectar and invite birds and butterflies to our gardens.
The third set of seeds should be tree seeds. We can honor Mother Nature by growing trees that will help clean the air we breathe, reduce excess sun on the soil, and provide shade for our heads on a hot summer's day.
The fourth set of seeds should be for plants from a zone that is beyond ours in warmth. It will help us to remember that we accept the "Leap of Faith" in our hearts and know that Mother Nature is capable of miracles
--John Muir
jay dee

winter sowing

Post by jay dee »

Yes, my containera have had the soil in them for two weeks. Today I did an inventory of all my seeds and decided what I was actually going to plant. Tuesday I will be planting away. Sorry Kat, I will skip the outdoor fire but love the glass of wine idea - CHEERS.

jay dee
michael_QvQ

Post by michael_QvQ »

It is that time again..... :D

Seeds I am planting today:
Remembrance- hollyhock and lupine for my grandmas.
Life- butterfly bush and red chili pepper.
Mother Nature- redbud tree and lilac bush.
Leap of Faith- purple fountain and pampas grass.
maidofshade

Post by maidofshade »

Just wanted to bump this up...
Is anyone going to winter sow this year.
I am gathering containers and seeds. Anyone have any good advice. Things that worked out and also mistakes made :-?
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

I have never tried this but have been reading about it for several months now. I am going to try some of the Hosta seeds I got and try to start some Tomato plants for an earlier start. I probably won't start my seeds till Feb.

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
John

Post by John »

Hostas will work well.

Tomatoes, on the other hand, won't do much of anything until the soil and air warm up-- being tropical. I have seen volunteers from the cherry tomatoes especially, so they will survive winter. I find that starting seeds outside after the last frost works better than babying tomatoes in any way.

But most other hardy perennials are very rewarding to w/s.
New Topic Post Reply