Verbascum seedlings- can they be put outside now?

Discuss greenhouses and general propagating topics. For propagating a specific type of plant, post in that specific plant forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

toomanyanimals
USDA Zone: 6a

Verbascum seedlings- can they be put outside now?

Post by toomanyanimals »

I'm running out of room under my basement lights. I didn't WS these because they cost some $ from T&M. They are getting huge and begging to be moved to pots bigger than 4 inches.

When is the earliest the perinneals started inside can be put outside? Do I have to wait for the last frost date?

Thanks,
tma
Be not simply good; be good for something.
Henry David Thoreau
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

You can slowly start to harden them off outside, but I wouldn't plant them yet. We could still get some hard freezes in Michigan that would be too much for a plant from indoors.

Also, with Verbascum specifically I would also wait until the spring rains are done. They like fairly dry, well-drained soil so a young plant might not be able to handle a lot of rain.

But take them outside a little at a time and bring them in at night so they can get used to sunlight. Start by putting them in some shade and slowly exposed them to more light. Then after the danger of hard frost is past they will be ready to go right into the garden.

Good luck!

Chris
toomanyanimals

Post by toomanyanimals »

Thanks Chris. Not the answer I was hoping for, but kind of knew it was coming. I didn't know about them not liking the rain - great information!
Henry David Thoreau
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Yea, I kind of thought you wanted to hear something else, but with seedlings you need to go slow. I have some verbascum in pots that have been hardened off and should be able to take some frost, but they are more mature plants from division, not seedlings. I need to move some things off the sandy hillside to give these verbascum a spot. I had some in a low area that rotted last year.

So which variety did you start? We have a wild pink variety growing in the really sandy areas here that is delightful but from the way they are growing I would never put them in a garden. But I'll try to get a picture of it later in the year. I grew Caribbean Crush once and our pink weeds were prettier...
toomanyanimals

Post by toomanyanimals »

Once again telling me something I don't want to hear . . . the pink weeds were prettier. :evil:

I'm growing the 'Copper Rose' and 'Silver Lining'.
Hoping they look nice at the back of the garden. Against the house and by the dryer vent. :oops:

tma
Henry David Thoreau
New Topic Post Reply