What temps are too hot for a greenhouse?

Discuss greenhouses and general propagating topics. For propagating a specific type of plant, post in that specific plant forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

What temps are too hot for a greenhouse?

Post by wishiwere »

Is there a high and low temp for growing things in a greenhouse. It got up to 110 in there today~ Thank heavens there is nothing in there!

What's a max and min for growing.

Thanks!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Jane,

It really depends on what you are growing, but usually when temps get above 90 outside things start to struggle so I would think it would be about the same in the greenhouse.

Do you have vents or fans set up to help moderate the temperature?
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Hi Chris. Yes, there are 4 vents on the floor (yet to be screened) and one larger one on the top back, with the screen on the door also. No shade cloth yet, working on that too.....

Its down to 100, with the vents all open and we just picked up a fan with dual fans and thermostat (cheapy, but.....) it can exhaust and blow in at the same time or both out or both in, depending on needs.

I can get a tarp type material (we used it to shade the swings when we had child care here) from a friend that deals in signs and such. White or blue, which color would be best do you think?

And I have a 5 gallons buckets for now to paint and fill with water for that danged WHITE STUFF they are predicting again! DID YOU HEAR ME? WHITE STUFF AGAIN! AND A MAJOR storm they are predicting! :(
Soummer
USDA Zone: 4-5

Post by Soummer »

:::holds hands over ears:::

I can't hear you! La la la la lalala!

:frosty:
Soummer, formerly Janet D.
My Page

wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Believe me Janet, I am praying they are as wrong as they've been about rain forecast the past 4-5 mondays that never happened!
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

During this period we have everything out and we do the bleach & steam clearning. Then we put the cactus and certain brugmansia back inside as these we know will take the heat. Also this way we don't have to run the fans, so just those species and varieties that can take the added heat. Brugmansia Snowbank is a beautiful plant that can stay in the greenhouse all year round. I have a whole shelf of cactus the will take the heat, you will feel the way to know just what you can deal with. Maybe we can get you to grow tropicals in there? :wink:
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Well, it's mostly to extend the season safely Karma, but geepers! This is early to get these hot temps we've had, and I don't trust it ! :(

It also holds the cold from teh nights which I was surprised. The learning curve is really tall here! LOL

Thanks for all the advice though everyone, as it's been a very fun project :)

Tropicals huh? I'll have to check out that forum.........Like I need another obsession! :) :roll:
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Oh Dear one, you just can't stop with one or two species of plants for ones place. At last count we were well over 500+ so come on, we have to get your addiction started. :wink: Right LG?

Yes you have to have fans in there to circulate the air and to control the moisture, oh you have lots to learn! :oops:
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Well, thank heavens I have you all to teach me the correct way! :) Yes, fan is ready to put in today, as well as the water, electric, screens for the vents and uh........ flooring.......not sure what I am doing there as yet! But......... I certainly don't want to walk into a den of snake one day! LOL
New Topic Post Reply