Leaking greenhouse

Discuss greenhouses and general propagating topics. For propagating a specific type of plant, post in that specific plant forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

Gruntfuttock

Leaking greenhouse

Post by Gruntfuttock »

I installed a lean-to greenhouse last year and despite making everything square, when I screwed it to the house the slight bow in the brickwork warped it.

This meant that when it rained, water would drip in.

Last weekend I ran a bead of silicone sealant along all the roof spars and it worked a treat. That's the good news.

The bad news is that it now leaks in another place. More SS required.
Zone: This is England we don't do zones. Pick any number between 2 and 11

http://www.zyxwv.co.uk/

There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

So sorry to hear this, I would of tarped it and then in the spring taken it all apart so you could fix the brick work. So if you SS the glass are you going to be able to take it apart later? Best of luck.
notmartha
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by notmartha »

my gh is made out of old windows and it leaks everywhere!!! :lol:
i have buckets to catch most of the HUGE leaks and then use the rain water to water all the plants
My Gh will never be leakfree!! :roll:
SilenceOfTheClams

Just a thought

Post by SilenceOfTheClams »

Grunt... this just came to me and I don't know if it would apply HERE but.....
Is there a way to inject a thin bead of InstaFoam, expanding foam sealant, between the ledger and your bricks? Dad used this stuff to seal "leak points" in his tiered water fall between the "steps" of rock that the water travelled and it worked great! This was years ago and last time I checked prior to selling his house, it was still doing the job. On the small area where the foam expanded beyond and was visible, he just "carved" it out to "level" and no more "looky here.. I'm a patch".
Hope you've got a handle on this problem there buddy!
The Result Of Your Work Is Only As Good As Your Concentra........HEY LOOK!! A Cloud Shaped Like Snoopy!!!
Gruntfuttock

Post by Gruntfuttock »

I used expanding foam between the house and the grenhouse as the wind blows water UP the glass, and this seems to have worked.

The main leaks are around the opening windows in the roof. I shall use more silicon sealant when the weather is good enough to allow the outside to dry off.
Zone: This is England we don't do zones. Pick any number between 2 and 11

http://www.zyxwv.co.uk/

There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
SilenceOfTheClams

Post by SilenceOfTheClams »

Okay then!!! Hope you get it solved so you can just look up and GO Image YESSSSSSSSSSSS!
The Result Of Your Work Is Only As Good As Your Concentra........HEY LOOK!! A Cloud Shaped Like Snoopy!!!
New Topic Post Reply