Affordable 4 Season Greenhouse

Discuss greenhouses and general propagating topics. For propagating a specific type of plant, post in that specific plant forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

coloradogrower
USDA Zone: 5a

Affordable 4 Season Greenhouse

Post by coloradogrower »

My wife and I have been searching forever for a greenhouse that we can use in the mountains of Colorado to grow vegetables year round. We finally found the Juliana Premium greenhouse. It's great EXCEPT it will cost us over $5,000 to purchase! (not in this lifetime!).

We continued our search and found the exact same greenhouse design including 10mm twin wall polycarbonate panels, wider doors, the steel base was included and the roof vents (4) came with auto openers. It has a 10 year unconditional warranty on the entire greenhouse and it has a dark green powder coated aluminum frame. Attached to the base are vertical members that will inset into concrete footers which we like as it gets quite windy where we are. Amazingly it is only $2,035.00 Delivered. The only catch seems to be the delivery time which is the first week of March due to so many back orders. Well, if we can save about $3,000 we're willing to wait! Anyway, we don't want to start growing until March anyway.

If anyone would like their web address, just let us know. We checked the prices of raw materials used in the Juliana and it only comes up to around $1,400, so someone is making a lot of money at our expense. It's just absurd that they are selling that greenhouse for over $5,000. Anyway, just thought we'd share our experience. We're looking forward to our greenhouse and will post pics as soon as it arrives.
Attachments
8x12-350.JPG
8x12-350.JPG (74.41 KiB) Viewed 8249 times
CapeHorn
USDA Zone: 7

Re: Affordable 4 Season Greenhouse

Post by CapeHorn »

Hi, I am new to the forum, but saw your post and wanted to let you know that we searched all over and found Sunshine Greenhouses, built in Longview, WA. Ours is 4 years old, and we love it. We choose wood as it is better insulated for our cold climate here in the Columbia River Gorge so heat loss is minimal, easy to maintain, simple assembly, and does not get cold and sweat like metal or plastic framed greenhouses. Also, the cedar frame feels so cozy, especially sitting by the realistic electric fireplace, and it fits right into our rustic raised bed garden setting, too. Let me know if you need more information. I am developing a hosta display garden and now have 140+ varieties. Small by comparison to many collectors, but more hostas come to live here all the time. :D More photos of our greenhouses and gardens at http://www.quinnmountain.com.
Attachments
Little cedar greenhouse in winter with growlight warming the seedlings
Little cedar greenhouse in winter with growlight warming the seedlings
Overwintering geraniums in winter. Seedlings on benches on other side. Small electric fire place on thermostat keeps heat above 38 degrees day and night.
Overwintering geraniums in winter. Seedlings on benches on other side. Small electric fire place on thermostat keeps heat above 38 degrees day and night.
greenhsgarden_web.jpg
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Welcome to the forums CapeHorn! What a beautiful spot you've created there. Look forward to seeing and hearing more about your gardens :)

Chris
Lseven

Post by Lseven »

Hi, I'm new here and don't want to hijack but think what I have to ask may add to this discussion.

I'm not looking to get 4 seasons but simply a jump start on our late springs or surprise late winter storms. My thought is to build a greenhouse with a 2' higher north wall and lower light transmitting south wall and sloped transmitting roof. I want to capture and store some of the sun's energy as we get lots of clear days and the coldest nights are the clear ones.

On the upper portion of the high north wall I thought I would paint it black and mount black water filled pipe weaving back and forth on it. The pipe would come from the ground and start on one side low and zig zag back and forth on the black sun exposed wall and then go down the other side from the top. The two ends of pipe would then split into several smaller pipes and be buried under clean 1 or 2" gravel. Obviously the thought being to capture the solar heat and transport it into this mass of rock/gravel where it could radiate back up from through the night.

I'm thinking this set up should provide natural convection and require no power to run a pump. Then it is just a matter of appropriate mass to provide heat through the night.

Anyone wish to talk me out of this lunacy or fine tune the idea for me. Glad to hear from all. Thanks
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Loving this thread!

I don't know why greenhouse kits are so expensive. I guess they figure those of us who are nuts about gardening may just be...nuts!

I love the photos, and Capehorn, I especially love the photo of your greenhouse in the snow. May I ask what it typically costs you to heat per month with your fireplace? I have a 10x16 greenhouse that I keep my outdoor tropicals and annuals in overwinter. With the electric costs rising last year, I had one month where I think it was over $200 to heat it with little electric heaters. Hubby says no more of that! And I agree! Is there a thermostat on your fireplace? I've been unable to find a 110v thermostat to plug my heaters into.
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
thy

Post by thy »

Welcome to the forums.

A Juliana Greenhouse is so expensive becaurse it is made in Denmark :D :lol:
I am suprised you can get one for the same amount of $ as it would cost here just 20 miles from the factory.

For one ´made by wood.. double the pri´ce and we can't even get one in an exelent quality.

Beautiful pics
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Got to love the Gorge area!! :lol: But I prefer the valley floor north of Portland, much nicer! :lol: It appears you might be still getting snow up your way??
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

I have had a Juliana greenhouse since the mid 1990s. A few years ago I looked into getting another one but it was no longer available. "Affordable" it was not even the first time around but DH gave it to me for a college graduation present.

Viktoria
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
thy

Post by thy »

Sure Victoria, they are good and last for a long time with snow and storms, but prices are in the upper end even you talk about a normal aluminia colored one and normal glass.
I hav just ordered an other Danish one, Vitavia, a bit cheaper and I found a good offer :wink: .
I am rather sure they are the same or just an other name, the addy is so very close to Juliana, it is hard to think it can be an other factory. Haven't had one in 15 years and feeling like a newbe :roll:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply