Beginning 2011 season

Discuss greenhouses and general propagating topics. For propagating a specific type of plant, post in that specific plant forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

Gardentoad
USDA Zone: 5

Beginning 2011 season

Post by Gardentoad »

I started some onion, shallot and leek seeds today.
Last year I waited untill the first of March and they were still very small at harvest time. I'm hoping that they will do better this year. I also bought some tiny bulk shallots and potted them up. I wonder if it would do any good to pot up a few garlic cloves? I planted a few in the garden last fall but not near as much as I use. I couldn't dig last fall and having a long drought here made it even harder to sneak a few in the ground.
I have the ducks in my GH so I have limited space this year. I can't put anything where they can reach it or they'll eat it. I have 6 big pots of Citris trees and a rosemary. The ducks were digging in their pots so I had to put fist sized rocks around them. I hope they didn't damage the roots too much. I also have some 2 gallon pots of broccolli and celery that was supposed to be planted for a fall harvest last year but I never got to put them out. I don't know if they will be edible next year or not but if thee celery is tough and the broccolli doesn't produce flower buds then I'll just let the ducks eat them.

Today we are getting another load of snow outside but I feel good because I've had my fingers in the soil. :)
Last edited by Gardentoad on Jan 27, 2011 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never before have so few with so much promised to take away so much from so many and then laugh their asses off as the so many with so little vote for the so few with so much.

---James Pence
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Re: Beggining 2011 season

Post by kHT »

Isn't it great to get your hands in the soil this time of year?? I've been trying to get some cuttings of 'karma' for
spring now that she is registered and I have a couple folks interested in her.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Gardentoad
USDA Zone: 5

Re: Beginning 2011 season

Post by Gardentoad »

I was starting to think that I was the only one out of hibernation.
Never before have so few with so much promised to take away so much from so many and then laugh their asses off as the so many with so little vote for the so few with so much.

---James Pence
kHT

Post by kHT »

Nope, been working in the yard this past week with the rain being so lite! Oh it was great to get dirt under the nails and to cut them back.
I have tossed 32 gallons of pine needles this past week and have enough to fill 3 more 32 gallon bins. Both greenhouses have gone nuts with
the weather warming up and then cooling down. I have the clemmies that are in pots in the older greenhouse and had to take the nippers to
them all after they were done blooming this past week. It was a jungle in there and it was time to take contol. Even the roses are coming alive
and I need to start the process of cutting back!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
kHT

Post by kHT »

Anyone starting any garden projects yet?? I have two already completed. We have 2 evergreen shrubs removed, the one north of the driveway was becoming a problem with parked vehicles so I shortened the bed once it was out. Then the other was in the front bed that well wasn't getting trimmed and I wanted it gone due to allergies. Now the lilies have room
and looking for something to plant there. I have the front yard all edged already. I have also widened the gravel driveway to the north of the cement one as son stated he needed more room for his truck! I have two block walls that seem to be sliding backwards so I need to straighten them up before ordering the bark and more gravel! Photos to be added soon!!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
paul_in_mn
USDA Zone: 4b

Post by paul_in_mn »

Between the snow and frozen ground, I can only dream about the garden. Still 30+ days out I would guess till the gardens are ready for digging this year. But go ahead - rub it in..... :D

p.s. but the skeeters ain't bad so far...
Paul

Gardening is a way of showing that you believe in tomorrow.
kHT

Post by kHT »

Paul, come on out!! I have skeeter bites already!! No joke, DH as what had been eating me as he saw my arm all
bit up. The house to the north of us has a pond and the bank owns it!! Going to be a long summer.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Karma, I think I'd sneek over to that pond and drop a package of Skeeter Dunks in it! Yikes!
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
kHT

Post by kHT »

Eastwood2007, we have been chucking them into the pump take and into the pond for a couple years now. Once they
get big enough they nest in the pine trees and that we have been spraying since no one takes care of them and they hang
35 feet into our yard. I'm in hopes this year of getting a chain saw pole and really cutting them back.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Oh, that sounds awful! Have you tried a fogger? I don't know where you would get one, but I've seen the City fogging in town when the mosquitoes are really bad.

I'm remembering now that hubby used one about 20 years ago when we had these weird worms attack our walnut trees. I don't remember whether he did it himself or whether he hired it done...we were just dating at the time.

I'll ask him...if I think of it...
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Poul, you'r welcome if you want to work in the garden :D :D :D
No skeeters here not even mosquitos- yet
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply