Meet our new feline family member.....

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

petal*pusher

Meet our new feline family member.....

Post by petal*pusher »

Not long ago, my 24 yr. old son and I visited the Humane Society looking for a cat to replace our 15 yr. old Murphy. We had waited about 3 months after having to put Murphy to sleep.....we really missed having a cat around!

Every cage held a beautiful kitty just waiting to find a home! Of course we noticed the most beautiful ones first....sleek fur.....beautiful colors.....silky soft to the touch. As I was talking gently to beautiful cats on one side of the room, I noticed Brian across the room with his hand inside the cage of a scrungy little gray cat. I went over....touched her wiry fur....and was startled by the big yellow eyes that did not seem to fit the rest of her "coloring". Hmmph! Surely he would not want THAT cat!!

After taking about 4 cats to the play room....I realized that what we wanted was just a really good cat with a pleasant personality. "Oh....that would be Nora!" said the caretaker....and darned if she didn't lead us right back to that little strange looking cat's cage!! Nora had been at the shelter for 7 months. Because of her "plain" look, she had been overlooked. We were told she had been mistreated and dropped off.....and one of the caretakers had found her at the Jackson Humane Society shortly before she was to be put to sleep. Her personality saved her. Argh! Brian seemed pleased, but I made up an excuse that we should wait until the weekend to actually GET a new cat. We left.....and Nora watched us walk away.

We returned a few days later, and wouldn't you know it....she was still there. Begrudgingly, I agreed to take her.

What a fun little cat she has turned out to be! She didn't exactly look like a "Nora", so we renamed her "Bailey". The lack of petting must have made that fur wiry on her back....because she is getting softer. How challenged she must have been in that cage, because I've never seen a cat run in such a jubilant way! So far she has not clawed furniture, p**ped outside the box, or given us any reason to regret adopting her. Whew! Just wanted to show you what a cutie she has turned out to be......they called her a diluted tortie......p :wink:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/552 ... 7701OxwRgi
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by pauhaus »

Congratulations on your new furkid! She looks at home already, great pic. Wish you all the best with her :P
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
Blackkat

Post by Blackkat »

She certainly is a cutie and clearly happy to have a home. I have a soft spot for misfits and underdogs (or cats :wink: ) and considering her history am glad she found a way into your life. I think you both will become fast friends.
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Awww....bless her little heart! I think she's adorable and I'm so glad she found a good home with you. Such a wonderful story. :)
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

:D Oh my! If she isn't 'at home' I don't know the meaning! She looks so contented! Give her scratches for me please! She's precious!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Oh how sweet! You saved her :D . I bet her hair texture was due to stress and now she has found someone to love and watch over her and she is happy. I like her coloring and those yellow eyes must be a knockout.

Ginger
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

She looks like she's made herself right at home!! :D
Congratulations on your new addition. I'm sure she'll bring years of pleasure to your home!
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

What a great story! Congrats on the new kitty.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Annie »

Aww what a cutie!
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
Snow

Post by Snow »

She's lovely! In that picture, she is the image of our boy Smokey. :wink:
~*Snow*~
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

Oh, that dark smoky gray is my absolutely favorite color of cat! (how we ended up with two solid blacks I still can't figure out!) She's beautiful, even if she wasn't the sleekest or most handsome cat in the shelter, and I'm sure she'll have you wrapped around her little heart in no time :) :) :)

Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

Awww, what a sweet, wonderful story! She looks very much at home and I love her smokey gray color!
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
Squash Blossom

Post by Squash Blossom »

You don't think Bailey might be a little too uptight, do you? :lol: Bless her heart...what she must be thinking after all those months at the shelter. She probably thinks she died and went to Heaven!

My daughter lost her cat a year or so ago, Luka had been with Denise since he was a kitten and he lived to be app. 16. He died of kidney failure and losing him just about killed Denise (and me too) and she swore she'd never own another pet and have to go through all that again.

Last summer some friends of ours found a little black female cat in their flower bed. They kept trying to care for it but their elderly Corgi was dying of cancer and they really didn't want to bring a new kitten into their lives at that time so they asked Denise if she'd be interested in seeing it. That was all it took! Kiku had a forever home five minutes after Denise met her!!

Ann
To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Oh, how precious! :D She certainly loves her new home.
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
New Topic Post Reply