Not a good week for pets at our house

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

Justme

Not a good week for pets at our house

Post by Justme »

While watching TV around 8pm tonight DS says, "Whats wrong with Pigglet." I was half asleep and asked the DD to see if he was moving. Nope. I get up, touch him, no movment. Kick cage, no movement. Call DH. Nope, piggie is gone!

So, out to the same area of hosta beds and a few feet from Missy's, dig another grave for another pet. He was 4 years old, which is good for a G. Pig. He didn't look dead at all, which is why we kept checking him. I even checked before I put him in his grave. He was even still soft, so must have just gone for a short time.

We have our best pet story from Pigglet/Fuzzy/Fluffy (G. piggy's aren't smart, so he didn't mind that we changed his name a few times).

When we got him, his was suppose to be a she, Fluffy! After a few weeks, while cleaning her chage I noticed she looked "funny" around her bottom and she wasn't eating right. Had to work for the next to nights, so come Friday I take her to the Vet. The asst. picks her up and looks at her bottom and says, "That doesn't look right!". We go into the exam room. Dr. picks her up and looks at her bottom, says "This doesn't look good" The number one problem was "she" was a "he". And his "male part" had gone out and got stuck to wood shaving in his chage and then dried up! :eek: He then chewed it off! (remember I said G. Pigs aren't smart) $132.00 later what remained was cleaned up, stitched up and I had to give antibotics twice a day for two weeks! He was renamed Fuzzy (for then).

Oh, well, two in one week. DS was asking if the dog was young or old. I reassured him that Dusty is only 3 and is very young and will be around for many more years. So will the two remaining cats who are about 4 years old each. He seemed relieved to hear this. Two pets in one week is hard when you are only 8.

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

Awwww......So sorry Tami. Your family has been hard hit this week. :(
Guinea pigs can be entertaining little critters but I never knew they were stupid enough to eat their own parts off!!!!!!! :eek: Poor guy......surprised he lived as long as he did.
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Gosh, Tami! It HAS been a horrible week for your household. I feel so sorry for your 8yr. old. I know they worry that everything will die when things like that happen. :( Sorry for your loss of your G.Pig. I wasn't aware they were not so smart either. Poor thing. :(
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

(((((Tami)))))
I'm sorry you had another loss so soon.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

Gosh Tami, this has to be so hard on you and your family! I'm so sorry to hear about the g.pig. Count me as another one that didn't realize g.pigs were a little short in the brains department.
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
Justme

Post by Justme »

As I read somewhere about the G.P.s. They don't have to be that smart to stalk grass!

He was a cutie. Seems empty to loose the two noisest animals in the house in one week. I used to come home in the morning to the cat MEOWING for food, right at the door. Then go into the family room to the Pig CHIRPPING for food/water! The remaining freeloaders/fur kids aren't nearly as demanding. Although, Tiger, has taken to sleeping with us this week, think he misses Missy.

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Tami, I am sorry your DS is having a hard time with this. It is hard on the young ones to learn about and face death of any kind. I hope he is doing okay.

Please forgive me when I say I could not help but chuckle as I read your story about Piggy and your reference to how dumb they are. I have never had one so it was interesting to know they actually arn't real smart, or maybe they are and just don't care? Anyway, hope all is well in your house today!

Ginger
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

(((((Tami))))) I'm so sorry. :( What a tough week for you and your family.
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
New Topic Post Reply