GSH rescued

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

wingnut

GSH rescued

Post by wingnut »

actually got her from a relative my son works for. This poor girl in not a year old yet. He (BIL) wanted a "guard dog" so they some how bought this German Short hair. Idiots. I know dogs can be scared of things that make no sense to us. But this dog is afraid of everything. There are 2 things she isnt afraid of and that is cats and cars. she wants to chase both. I think she is approx 6-7 mos. As far as I know never in season yet........I HOPE. He wanted her for keeping a his garage for scaring away thiefs etc. So he kept her locked in the garage and she pee'd and pooped on the floor and got punished for it She barked outside and got punished for it, same with running in the garage and grabbing a piece of metal that they were scrapping out,and the repeated beating. Her final night in the garage she again pee'd on the floor...cement by the way and my son heard the comotion of BIL punishing her for it and then his comment of ......I hit her so hard i hurt my own F"ing hand... :evil: TOO BAD :evil: So he got a dog house and a teather,when he discovered she could reach the human house and lay on the porch swing on a cushion he rigged the teather so she could no longer reach the house. He put a plastic flap on the opening to the dog house to act as a windblock but she was afraid of it so shes been sleeping on the ground outside day and night.I had come to the conclusion that I was going to dog nap the dog. I didnt know how or when but that was my intention until I heard he was giving her to another employee.YEAH for her. Well he wasnt happy to know that she was coming here first for some sort of training. Crushed is my feeling in watching her interact with nothing. She didnt know how to play with ANY toy, she was afraid of the house,the food dish,the food,the water dish,a bath,the yard,the garage. She was afraid of human touch :cry: . My son told me that when she;d investagate anything she'd get smacked from behind and yelled at to get out of stuff. He also told me that she couldnt be house trained......not that shes ever been in a house. He also told me that when you approached her she would cower to the ground and pee all over the place. I was also told that BIL said she wasnt trainable and she couldnt be broke of pee-ing in the house=garage.

update and questions on another post.this one is getting too long
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

Ive only had her here since Wednesday.I kept her out in my grooming shop (heated) in a crate with blankets and a water dish. Every day we went outside on a leash without a word thru doors she was also afraid of, I didnt speak until we were outside to make sure she had no excitable accidents. Shes never had any accidents <<NONE>>. Saturday I moved her into my house. MY dogs are a little sideways about it but too bad move over. :wink: She goes thru the doors but with a little hesitation. She investigates the yard sometimes with caution,sometimes none. She runs and jumps and flies. She wags her tail and jumps on my chest and gives me a passing lick and is off again. She lets me pet her today. I sat on the floor with her in my living room and just rubbed her chest. Today she discovered TIGGER, the bouncing tiger or Walt Disney, you push down on him and he talks an bounces and she loves him. She chased a tennis ball but retrieved a plastic pop bottle and loved it too. She got to be a puppy for the first time in probably months. My son wishes BIL could see her today. I hope she never has to see him again. Sad thing is .....he gave her away because He wants another dog...this time a guard dog. I like to say I hope it bites him in the a** but only the dog would suffer. Everyday that this girly does something new is a huge deal with us.I try to walk her on leash with some form of training for only 10 -15 mins aday. My DH has been extremely supportive in this too. But the new owner wants a hunter. She has wonderful hunting ability with a great sense of smell..but I worry about a gun being fired around her. She very strong and stubborn. Her attention span is pretty much none existant. :???:But shes young and I know in the right hands her memory will delete BIL and she'll be great .

IF OED is reading this any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Oh my.............That BIL should NOT have pets!! :evil:

I am so glad she is with YOU now!! Hugs!!!!!!! :D
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

OMG! What a story and bless your heart for being such a kind and loving soul! I hope she continues to make progress and that she will totally forget BIL! People like your BIL shouldn't be allowed to own a dog! :evil:
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
bengal

Post by bengal »

any suggestion would be greatly appreciated

Hmmm. How about reporting your BIL for animal abuse? Hard to do when it's a relative or family member, but me, I'd do it in an instant.

Anyway, you're doing a wonderful thing. I'd probably let the guy who wants her for hunting know she's probably not the right dog for him--too skittish and shy. Then you can keep her for yourself. :)
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

Good for you! I will admit that my DH dog napped an abused animal years ago. Poor thing had Parvo and ended up we had to put her down.

You wonder why some people think it's okay to abuse animals. Makes me sick & furious :evil: :evil:

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I got angrier and angrier as I read your post!! But I also wanted to cry for all that that poor dog has been through. Bless you for taking her in and giving her the love and attention that she needs. I ,also, hope the other person who wants a "hunter" doesn't take her and you get to keep her. Sounds to me that she just needs to be someone's beloved pet from now on and she has a good home with you. As for the BIL........grrrrr...............I can't think of something bad enough that I would like to happen to him! People like that should NEVER own an animal!! :x
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

:bawl: That is the saddest story!!!! I can't believe someone would treat an animal like that!!!! It just dumbfounds me! I am glad you have her... wish you could keep her! Like you, I worry she will not like gun shots! If that loser BIL gets another dog.. please keep an eye out and report him! Where did he expect he to go potty if stuck in a garage?? :hmm: Baffled.. thats what I am.. and a bit ticked! No animal or person should be treated with such ill will! That poor baby! Hopefully she will learn to trust people. I believe you are doing a fine job in that! Kudo's to you!!
~Dusty~
- ô¿ô -

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."
Garden_of_Mu
USDA Zone: 7

Post by Garden_of_Mu »

Poor baby. I'm so glad she has a happy home now. :(
~ Mike

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t
matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Theodore Geisel, aka Dr.
Seuss
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Perfect example of my favorite saying at the beginning of each new obedience class when I taught those.
"The only thing wrong with your dog is the idiot at the other end of the leash"!
The dog is young enough that IF the problems aren't genetic, it should make a nice recovery with lots of sociolization.
Exposure to EVERYTHING and don't baby it when it stresses. That will only reinforce the shy/nervous behaviour. Act like nothing is going on and just keep doing whatever it is you were doing. Sounds cold but, as I said, babying and pampering a dog or puppy through a stressful situation only tells the dog you aprove of it's behaviour.
IF the dog has natural hunting instincts, hunting would actually be quite helpeful. Course that depends on how the hunter handles the dog.
New Topic Post Reply