Copper has moved on

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Copper has moved on

Post by Ginger »

This past Saturday DH and I had to have our Boxer Copper put down. We found her in a coma just an hour after she had escaped the yard with her buddy Doc.
She and Doc got loose from the yard Saturday morning. DH and I were in the house stripping the floors and we had put all three dogs in the front yard while we worked. About an hour later we looked out to check on them and the only one in the yard was Temper the oldest female Boxer. DH got on the ATV and found Doc and Copper down in the lower part of our 10 acres and brought them back home. They were both panting like crazy so we knew they had been running hard and having a great time! We put them in the back yard where we have hot wire to keep them from digging out (don't have it in the front yard due to grandkids) and went back to working on the floors. About an hour later DH looked out the window and Copper was just laying on the ground, and her tongue was hanging out of her mouth. He went out to her and she would not respond, would not wake up or anything. He picked her up and put her in the truck and took her to the vet. Our vet was already closed, but I called and he met DH at the office. He hooked her up immediatly to an EKG. He could not get her heart rythem to stabilize and he determined she was in a coma. He worked with her for about two hours, and finally told DH that even if he could get her heart back to normal (it was barely beating, then would beat very very fast, then go back to slow) that she had already sufferered a huge loss of oxygen to her brain and he did not feel she would recover, so DH called me and we decided the best thing for Copper was to let her go.
DH and I both cried like babies and have been doing so for the last few days. It is getting a bit better, I can at least talk about her without crying now, but I miss her so very much. The saddest part is Doc. Copper was his best friend and he is just lost. He looks through the house and outside many times a day and just whines for her. It breaks my heart. I have been giving both my dogs lots of extra TLC. It is good for them and me. I am glad she got one last run in, since she loved to run so much.

Ginger
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

So sorry for the hurt you ...and your other dogs are going thru. Such a loyal companion she has been for you...how lucky for the both of you. Wish I had good words to help ease the pain.....Pam :(
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

Aww, that is so sad. Sorry for you & DH & Doc for the pain you feel now. It is so hard. It does take time to heal....

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

I'm so sorry. Give Doc and Temper some nice extra loveys from me, I know they miss their friend :( I have an older Westie, and I know when it is his time to leave, our other 2 dogs, one a boxer, will miss him dearly.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

OMG.......How sad!!!!!! :cry: I am so sorry!!! They are just like our kids......We miss our Ginger still to this day.....and if I let myself, I can still cry when looking are her picture with that poem on the fridge.....although, it does get better......

Big huggssssss to you!!!!!!!! :cry:
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

Oh Ginger, what sad news. My heart goes out to you and your DH. Losing a furbaby is so hard because we become so attached to them! Hugs to you and your DH.
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Annie »

Oh I'm very very sorry to hear that :(
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

I'm so sorry you had to go through that. It's so hard when we lose fur-kids, they are so much an important part of our families. I'll give Fuzz-Butt and Monkey and Jet an extra hug today and I'm sending warm thoughts your way :)

Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Thanks much for all your kind thoughts. It has been hard.. but each day is a little bit easier. Having the other two makes it a bit easier, I still have them to love and care for.

Ginger
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

I'm so sorry. :cry: (((((Ginger)))))
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
Blackkat

Post by Blackkat »

I am so sad for you. It is so hard to lose a beloved friend.
amr-ind

Post by amr-ind »

So sorry to hear about your loss. May you find some relief from your loss soon. My prayers and thoughts are with you and your DH. (((HUGS)))
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

It's so hard to lose a beloved companion. I am sorry for your loss, but I'm glad that you have the memory of her last day running free and having a great time of it.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
ladyblue
USDA Zone: 5B

Post by ladyblue »

I am so sorry ,((( Ginger!!))
Our pets are so much loved, and I understand your heartache!!Hug your other pets a little more, as they are missing their friend too!!
Bonnie
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

I am so sorry to hear, Ginger. Understand your great loss. No words can truly express the condolences, but know they come heartfelt. So, so sorry.....
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I am just now reading this post for the first time and my heart is just breaking for you. ((((Ginger)))) It's always so hard to lose one of our beloved furkids. I have to agree with you.....the thought of Copper running free and having a blast that day is a wonderful memory. My sympathies go out to you and your family, Ginger.
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

So very sad :cry:

An unexpected and to early death is hard- for you and her friend.
Glad she enjoyed her run
And so happu to read your storry just after the storry of a lef over puppy in the road side... what a difference in belive and nature of humans

Hope both you and Doc will feel better-- do he need a new friend :-?

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply