Nothing like a warm spot by the fire

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Nothing like a warm spot by the fire

Post by Chris_W »

I hate to show a picture of the wood burner because of all the mess around it, but still wanted to share.

We have a cushion next to the wood burner just for the kitty cats. They love warming themselves by this all day long. Sometimes I find our other cat Cleo sprawled out right underneath it.

These two used to be arch rivals and wouldn't even stand being in the same room together :)
Attachments
catmat.jpg
catmat.jpg (43.5 KiB) Viewed 1910 times
ladyblue
USDA Zone: 5B

Post by ladyblue »

Isn't it funny how a nice fire to cuddle by can make friends!
There is nothing like snuggling by the fire! :D
After all this is Michigan and it'd cold!! :D
Bonnie
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Smart kitties!! When I was a kid we had a fireplace and it had a big area in front that was rocked, (I can't remember what it is called, not the Mantel that is over the top of the fireplace) but anyway, I used to sit for hours in front of the fire reading and drawing... I will still back up to a heater or fireplace and stand there as long as I can :lol: :lol:

Ginger
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

How cute, Chris! No fireplace here, but sometimes I wish we did have one....They do love the warmest places they can find.

Thanks for sharing!! 8-)
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I know what you mean ,Chris, about the mess about a woodburner. Ours is the same way almost all winter, because we use it all the time. Our cats love it too! It's not unusual to have to step over several of them as you walk through the room. I've been known to lay down in front of it before and fall asleep too! :lol:

And Ginger.....is "hearth" the word you're looking for? :wink:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Pandora
USDA Zone: z5 OH

Post by Pandora »

Yep, a place by a warm fire is probably the best thing about winter.

The fact that they didn't used to get along, makes this an extra special picture.
Justme

Post by Justme »

When I was a teen, we heated with a wood burner and there was always a mess.

Tonight I have a fire in the fireplace, but no kittys to warm themselves in front of it. :cry:

Glad your two are enjoying the warmth.

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Thanks guys. This is a special picture because I never thought I would see the day these two would be cheek to cheek like this!

We've heated almost completely with wood this winter, and I sweep at least every other day thought it probably could be done a couple times a day... But the furnace has been shut right off except for a couple times when it was down around or below zero this winter, and it has been toasty warm still :D And the good news is that we collect the firewood right here - lots of dead fall, and we'll have a lot more after this winter's wind storms.

Thanks for letting me share this one :)

Chris
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Awww....cute kitties! :D

We used to heat with wood, too. DH had a sawmill and we had lots of scraps! We built a woodstove 'house' outside and ducted the heat in....kept the mess outside. I liked that! No more sawmill, so no more wood stove. I am totally okay with that. After doing that for years, I am perfectly content to just go over and turn up the thermostat instead of having to bundle up and deal with the wood mess.

I do still like a nice fireplace though. I am a person who doesn't get cold easily, so it doesn't bother me so much not having it anymore.

Chris, you can almost feel the heat the kitties are basking in just looking at that picture! :lol:
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

I know what you mean about not thinking you'd ever see them together :) Our old FuzzButt absolutely HATES our two boys, but on my computer desk all bets are off and they sleep just a couple of feet away from each other. It took two years for them to work that peace agreement out, but finally there is peace in the house!

I'm glad your cats have found someplace where they can have a pact and be close together without fighting :)

andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

Awww, how sweet, its so nice they've finally made peace!

Know what you mean about the messy woodburner. I had one when I lived in Montana and there was always a mess around it.
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Awwwwwww...that makes the mess worth it, knowing that warmth produce a freindship! Just wondering if the 'closeness' will continue this spring? Be interesting to hear about!

Chris, your house is so neat, a little mess in front of the firesplace is nothing! It's temporary at best. Seasonal I would say! :D
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
New Topic Post Reply