Catnip alternative

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Catnip alternative

Post by Spider »

A while back someone posted about their kid's science project looking for catnip alternatives. Well, Katie (my cat) pointed one out to me while I was making dinner. I was cooking Rammen Noodles (the chicken flavor). I don't cook them as a soup, but drain the noodles, add butter and add the flavor packet. As I was adding the flavor I noticed Katie rolling around on the floor like someone had spilled her catnip onto the carpet. She was going NUTS!! She was wiggling around with her tail all poofed out and making little "mmmrrrt" sounds. There was no blue left in her eyes, the pupils were so dialated. While I was eating she came over, just as nutty, and rolled around on the bed, and bit me and ran away. Finally I figured it out and let her sniff the packet. Wow, she went even more batty!!

You guys need to try it, just don't let them lick it, the flavoring has onions and garlic - toxic to pets.
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Re: Catnip alternative

Post by doublemom2 »

That was my kids... and I never thought of trying the flavor packets for noodles LOL!. We tried catnip, lavender, chamomile, thyme, rosemary, valerian and mint. Catnip came in first place, with chamomile and valerian a close second, and a few reacted to lavender. The other three didn't work as well, but that was the whole point of the experiment to find out :)

Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Re: Catnip alternative

Post by Ginger »

Onions and garlic dangerous for pets??? Have not heard that before.
Be careful Spider, you don't want Katie becoming and addict and getting into your stash of Noodles :lol: :lol:

Ginger
New Topic Post Reply