I'm a foster mom

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

putnamgardens

I'm a foster mom

Post by putnamgardens »

Meet Santana. She's a year old yellow lab cross. She kinda reminds me of part mastiff cause her gowls smile when she's happy like Hooch. I'm taking her out of bording for St Francis Dog rescue.I'll save them $18.00 a day for doing foster care. She'll go out to a "viewing" at a Pet co a week from today and hopefully be adopted. Abby, my husky border collie picked her as her new playmate on Wed. I brought her home last night after work.(Fri) She kenneled up for the night beatifully. My cats don't run so she hasn't chased them yet. I know she likes my house and yard better than that stinky, hard run she used to stayed at. She's a real lover. I hope I don't fall in love before next Sat. Later, Love, Lisa P.S. And If I do fall for her and she gets adapted, I know she'll be a good pet in a good home.
P.P.S. I'm also cat sitting for Kim...she's in Nebraska.
Attachments
Santanas  take up the WHOLE pillow.jpg
Santanas pillow lounger.jpg
Have I mentioned lately that my drinking team has a hosta problem?
jmboyer

Post by jmboyer »

Lisa, she's a beauty. You have a good heart to be doing foster care for Santana and Kim. It is so hard to say goodbye when the time comes, but you can comfort yourself with knowing that you are giving them both the love and nurture they vitally need until they find permanent homes.
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

:hmm: Looking into my crystal ball, I see a new dog in Lisa's family. :cool: :D :D :wink:
lazygardner

Post by lazygardner »

:lol: I was gonna say...
...it's too late!!!!! :lol:
Before criticizing someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them you will be a mile away and have their shoes!
putnamgardens

Post by putnamgardens »

Santana is supose to be fostered. I don't think @ one year old that I was the one who taught her the command "sit". She knew that one already. With the reinforcer of praise and 1/2 a milk bone....we're working on "Drop". (lay down) She's making progress. She's super possessive of her food dish so I supervise in the kitchen with the bowls far apart. She really likes her "people" but we don't come when she barks. I hope Abby will break her in in the play department. They run really good together. Her favorite toy is the frisbee with the tennis ball in the middle. She retrieves it. We're working on "leave" as I won't play tug of war with it. She has a problem of jumping on ya. The new school of thought is to turn away. Remember the old knee to the chess....that's not the way to break her from jumping anymore. As I turn away and turn, I get her from paws on the dog house. THEN I can love her up. We haven't decided to keep her yet. She does have potential. OED thinks I'm in LOVE already. I guess we'll know by next Sat. @ least I'll be able to tell the new owners that she has manners. Later, Love, Lisa
Attachments
santana the frisbee dog.jpg
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

She looks so sad in that 2nd pic! I think it's b/c she knew you were talking about sending her away! I bet she'll try really hard to learn new tricks if you only keep her and cancel her saturday visit! :)
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

Oh!!!!!! She already looks like she's right at home where she is!!! You're a sweetie to Foster her....now be a saint and adopt her. :lol:

The method I'm using to try to teach Hugo not to jump is to make him sit before I'll pet him. Also anyone else that approaches him must wait until he sits before they touch him. He doesn't sit for long, but he sits! :lol: It seems to be working pretty good except when he's Super Excited (and when isn't a Boxer puppy super-excited?) :lol:
Annika

Post by Annika »

She is beautiful !

Annika
ShadyIndyLady

Post by ShadyIndyLady »

I did the same with my Collie, Emma, that Patsue did with Hugo. I taught her to "sit" if she wants to be petted.
Now when someone comes over she walks up to them at the door and sits right in front of them. They can't move
until she gets a pet on the head! :lol: The new thought
is to replace a bad habit with a good one...with plenty
of praise. Good luck....sure is a cutie...I hope you decide
to adopt this one and add to your family! :P :D
Linda

My Hosta List
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Pat, the sit before pets works well with my male boxer Doc also. He knows before he gets pets or treats he has to sit down nice, and it is so funny, because since he has "male parts" when he sits he kinda plops down and then hits the cold ceramic floor, he instantly sits up just a bit higher :lol:
He still has to put a paw on your arm or in your lap though! I think it is the Boxer because the other older females do it also.

Ginger
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Oh I forgot, Lisa I would already be a goner. That face and those eyes :D , but if she gets a home as good as yours and people as compassionate as you she will be fine!

Ginger
putnamgardens

Post by putnamgardens »

She's very attatched to people. She wants to be indoors when her people are. She used to cry if we were in the garden and she was in her courtyard. THAT wasn't reinforced so she's quiet now. She's super curious about the cats. She wants to smell thier bottom. She's been slapped by a clawless kitty and still wants to be friends. I just printed off 4 spotshots and they can be part of her resume' for Saturday. Later, Love, Lisa
P.S. I hope it will be helpful to a family willing to take a chance on a dog verses puppy. @ one year she has a history but it will take a new family to give her a future. Later, Love, Lisa
Attachments
Santana loves twinkie.jpg
putnamgardens

Here we go again

Post by putnamgardens »

It's my turn to be a foster mom again. A co-worker was stressing about her 2 year old border collie/akita. With the center of attention now being the 8 month old baby....the dog was displaying "scary" behavior with the baby and felt the dog was acting out out of jelousy of the baby. Tonights issue is the huge bucket of bones. After the growl and YOUR bone looks much better than mine game and distract and attain game we put away the bones. Annabell still knows where they are and is HERDING Abby away from them. I think they'll work it out but with tonights 6" 's of snow she does'nt know the catch me if you can game and not running. I hope she learns that catch me game. I think she's 100% border collie. They said the mother was Akita. I just don't see it. Later, Love, Lisa
Attachments
annabelle on her towel.jpg
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Lisa, congrats on the new foster furkid. If that dog has Akita in it, I'm a cat! :o
putnamgardens

Post by putnamgardens »

I know...she looks all border collie to me and the way she herds the cats upstairs she's a super herder. Later, Love, Lisa
Attachments
annabelle andSammy.jpg
sammy & annabelle.jpg
s with claws.jpg
Annie

Post by Annie »

Oh what a pretty dog! I'm happy someone can care for them while they are looking for a new home :)
You are doing such a great thing for her. Maybe she will become part of YOUR family :D
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

Beautiful dog Lisa! If she's herding the cat, her herding instincts are really working well! :lol: I hope that you are able to find a great home for her. She looks like a really nice dog!
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I admire very much people that can foster care and then give them up to a good home. I don't think I could bear to let them go once I took them into my home (which is why I have five indoor cats!!). It's such a wonderful thing you're doing ,Lisa , and the doggie is beautiful! I have to wonder also, after reading your first post, if you're going to end up with a new member in your family. :lol:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
putnamgardens

Post by putnamgardens »

Here I go again.....Meet Lacy. She's a 2 or 3 year old yellow lab. She was raised in a group home for physically challenged men. She is super calm. I brought her to the Vet and sure enough, she has an ear infection. $84- latter, I'm washing and adding antibiotic drops 2 times a day. She's super obedient. Come, sit stay. She does it all. She gets along with all the other dogs. Neighbor's Germain Sheppard too. This one looks like a keeper. Later, Love, Lisa
Attachments
hey that kittys getting fresh.jpg
lacy eating a cookie while being petted.jpg
clover checking out sam.jpg
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

Ooohhh, Lacey is gorgeous! :P I would think with all of her nice manners that you should be able to find a home for her in short order. Again, Lisa, bless your big heart for being a short-term mom for all these foster kids!
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply