Where is your pet's favorite spot?

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Where is your pet's favorite spot?

Post by doublemom2 »

Fuzz-Butt's favorite napping place is way up high at the back of the fourth shelf in our linen closet. We put some old towels back there when we got tired of our nicer towels always showing up with cat hair on them, now she has her very own spot and we don't mess with it. Note the very satisfied look on her face, something like "I FINALLY got those humans to leave my bed alone!!!"

Where does your pet like to hang out?

Andi
Attachments
Kitty 013105.jpg
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Pretty much where ever I happen to be. It's a real pain when I'm in my wood working shop and trying to step over three dogs while I run the different equiptment. They wont even move when there covered with sawdust unless I go to a different piece of equiptment. Even at the puter, I usually get a few yelps when I try to move the roller chair I use. :roll:
amr-ind

Post by amr-ind »

My cats love padded chairs and the bed. We have a couple of pet heating pads that they really enjoy during the winter. (Boy, noone's spoiled at my house, are they????) :roll: :oops:
Deb118

Post by Deb118 »

The dogs... same as OED. Those rollers sure can pull out the tail fur :o :lol:
Rocket's place is the middle of the dinning room table :evil: when it's cleaned off :roll:
"Hold fast to dreams for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly." -Langston Hughes
doublemom2

Post by doublemom2 »

Guess I'm lucky... my kitty doesn't sit or lay down on anything unless we do as well. She won't touch the tables or kitchen counters or bookshelves, as she learned with a water spray bottle the day we brought her home. She'll sit up on her stool right next to us at dinnertime (she doesn't eat people food, either) but won't put a paw on the table itself. She has a few end tables that she likes to sit on to watch the birds out the windows, but those are fine and she knows which ones she can and can't use.

Smart kitty.... good kitty... Purrrrrrrrr............

Andi
Andi
Snow

Post by Snow »

When she's not hanging near me (which is most of the time) - Gracie loves to sleep, perch, and look out the window at the birds from her favorite spot atop the standing quilt rack in the living room. I placed the quilts in such a manner that she is able to sleep on them comfortably - and she immediately claimed that space as hers :) Pippi-sue loves the wingback chair in the living room - but at night her favorite spot is snuggled next to my tummy on the bed. Butch - he just loves to be near me - wherever. Smokey has a favorite spot on the back of the sofa - right next to where my daughter sits.
~*Snow*~
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

:D I never understood cats.....or is it cat people :lol: :wink: . My terriers, 14 and 16 lbs, aren't much bigger than some cats, but I can't imagine them running across the kitchen counters. My JRT can go over a 6ft privacy fence as well as any cat but not in the house. :eek: :eek: My GSD can lay his head on the kitchen table but he dern sure knows he better not. Cats are beautiful, fascinating critters but. :eek: Please don't anyone take this as a put down. I just can't figure it out. :oops: :lol: :oops: :lol:
doublemom2

Post by doublemom2 »

OED - I agree, which is why we trained our cat from the first day we had her where she could and could not go. I just don't like the thought of paws that have been in a litter box walking across my kitchen counter... that's why our kitty isn't allowed to and she knows it!

She is SOOOO good about only sitting on things that we sit on. It took less than a week to train her, and that was over five years ago and is still in force today. Contrary to what some believe, cats are trainable when it comes to things like that, it just takes consistency.

Andi, who'se fuzzy fur-kid is purring at y'all right now :)

Andi
Andi
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

I'll have to get me one someday, after the terriers are gone :eek: , just to find out what the're capable of. :wink:
Snow

Post by Snow »

That's because cats are natural climbers, and prefer to study their surroundings from atop a mound, or tree limb, etc. Dogs - not so much :)
~*Snow*~
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

That makes sense but dogs, especially terriers, are natural diggers. I sure ain't gonna let one dig a hole in my carpet. :D :P I'm starting to look forward to training a cat. :D Course them dern terriers are gonna out live me. :lol: :lol: :wink:
doublemom2

Post by doublemom2 »

Cats are natural climbers, that's just part of what they do! That's why we give our indoor cat plenty of things to climb on things that are okay, and to give her high perches where she look out the windows or down on us. One of her favorites is a carpet-covrered post/tree that is right next to the window overlooking the pond, but she can also see everything that's going on in the family room/dining room/kitchen. She thinks she's the absolute queen up there. By giving her an alternative to be up high instead of the fridge or the kitchen counters, she's one happy feline and I'm one happy human.

Andi
Andi
lazygardner

Post by lazygardner »

The government tried to train cats for the vietnam 'war'. It worked just fine until they triedto get them to march in single file. They pretty much every whichaway. I hear one of them kept trying to catch the ties on the backpack of the soldier in front of him. :lol:

Several of my kitties like to sleep on an old retired electric blanket that is folded on top of a five shelf book case that is about six foot tall. I have put together a couple of cat trees with cradle shaped shelves that are fairly high up. I put the trees in front of windows and they love those top cradles.

I had to laugh at Deb's entry. Nicki also loves to stretch out on the dining room table. Only, she couldn't care less if there is all kinds of stuff piled up on it. If there are some pencils or pens on the table that is even better. She rolls them onto the floor. Her favorite is lying on top of the plastic grocery bags I always forget to put away. Afterall, the crinkling sound wakes Mom up and drives her crazy. One of Nicki's favorite activities is to drive Mom crazy.

Something that has been driving me about nuts: Zippy comes dashing into the bathroom as soon as he figures out that is where I am headed. He jumps up on the edge of the sink and meows loudly until I start a thin stream of cold water for him. He drinks it and sometimes plays in it. Then he turns around and, faces me and shakes the cold water from his face onto me! Twittenbug!!!!! You might say the edge of the bathroom sink is his favorite place now.
Before criticizing someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them you will be a mile away and have their shoes!
Deb118

Post by Deb118 »

:lol: OED's gonna be a "cat person" some day!!! :lol: :wink:
One thing with cats, (as I type) they dont bark at the gas man when he's out there fillin up the tank. 4 dogs yappin at the same time :o And Chopper has that puppy bark that's like nails on a chalk board :eek:
"Hold fast to dreams for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly." -Langston Hughes
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Ginger (the dog) sleeps in the same room I am in.....she really doesn't lay right under me.....just in the same room. She has never been allowed in bed, so just just lays at the foot of it.....She was trained not to get on the furniture from the start, but then a few years ago we were letting her cause it, was junk with Stanley cat in there, but then now that he is gone, and we had the hardware floor re-done, and new furniture, I think she knows, cause she does not even try.....That's good, cause she would be in trouble.....:lol: As for the cats, when we had the 3, it was just tiny Kibbie who got up on the counters even knowing she would get squirted or my hands clapping in her ears....The boys never did get up on them.....It was just Kibbie jumping up on the table, looking your straight in the eye, till you moved, then she ran down.....She was something else....Miss her.....Oh, shoot, this was about where they SLEEP...... :oops: ....The boys would sleep in the basement, but miss Priss Kibbie had to have her own box by the heat vent.....We just have Curtis now, and he sleeps in the middle bedroom (pet room) on as old quilt with the dog.....He comes up to see me when I first go to bed, but then he is gone....

Rattling again...... :oops:
janet

Post by janet »

About five years ago, my nephew sent me a box of grapefruit for Christmas. They came in a 20" octagonal box with foam rubber packing (that 'egg-crate' stuff that they use for dog beds and in nursing homes). The grapefruit were just okay, but the box was the best! I now have two perfect cat beds with towels over the foam. One is in the front bay window with houseplants all around it. It's the only sunny window in the house and this is Aggie's favorite place to hang out during the day unless I'm on the 'puter. Then she sleeps in the big leather recliner next to the desk.

At night, she sleeps on the bed, down by the foot on "her" side. In the morning, she lies on the cabinet next to the sink and goes through the whole big cat cleaning thing while I shower and get ready for the day. While I brush my teeth, she brushes her face on my hairbrush. All this has been a ritual for almost 13 years now.

And OED, this cat has never gotten on kitchen counters, appliances, bookcases, etc. Beds and chairs are the only places she's allowed that dogs are not (well, and the front bay window and bathroom cabinet :oops: ). She hunts snakes in addition to rodents (I even caught her stalking a full-grown deer once when she was younger :lol: ), fetches ping pong balls, sits and lies down on command, comes when she is called (even outside), knows that "danger, danger" means stop whatever you're doing RIGHT NOW, is puppy-tolerant (herders, anyway), and, even though fully clawed, has never drawn human (or canine) blood. We're working on winking now...she's almost got it. She's a keeper, for sure. (just gotta treat 'em like a funny-lookin' dog with 'attitude' :wink: )
jd in nh
janet's list
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. --John Andrew Holmes
jay dee

favorite spot

Post by jay dee »

You are a very brave man OED!

jay dee
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Brave for saying I want to train a cat, or brave for "insinuating" :D :D that cat folks is crazy? :lol: :lol:
The people here know I luvs em! :wink:
doublemom2

Post by doublemom2 »

Darn right we love our little felines :D They are amazing creatures. My girls read in a book about ancient Egypt (where cats were first thought of as "pets") that cats actually chose to live with people, and not the other way around, waaaaaaay back then.

I've heard a few other cool things too, not sure if they're true or not, but they sound good:
- Cats can walk silently if they want to, but when you can hear those little paws on the floor, they just want to make sure you know that they're there.
- Cats do not purr when they are alone, they only purr when one or more of their family members are nearby.
(By the way, was anyone aware that elephants purr too? But they do it when they're scared to death, not when they're happy like cats)
Andi
janet

Post by janet »

And cats can throw up at will (good thing OED's name is Bob and not Will, eh? :wink: )
jd in nh
janet's list
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. --John Andrew Holmes
New Topic Post Reply