Meet the New Furkid

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

PeggyC

Meet the New Furkid

Post by PeggyC »

DH bought a new horse today, a paint mare. She has good "cow" breeding and DH is hoping to use her for cutting and maybe team penning and, of course, he's looking forward to a baby or two in the future. :wink: The pictures aren't great as everyone was moving and I was trying to stay out of the way! :P She doesn't have a name yet so will let you know when we decide. :roll:
Attachments
Here she is!  And there's Nikki again checking out the new arrival.  Good thing the new mare is calm!
Here she is! And there's Nikki again checking out the new arrival. Good thing the new mare is calm!
The old guy, Doc, is out first. We always take a seasoned traveler with us when picking up a new horse, just in case.  Note Nikki still waiting on the other side of Doc.
The old guy, Doc, is out first. We always take a seasoned traveler with us when picking up a new horse, just in case. Note Nikki still waiting on the other side of Doc.
Nicki anxiously waiting for the trailer door to open!
Nicki anxiously waiting for the trailer door to open!
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

And one last picture.
Attachments
NewHorse2.jpg
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

How cool, Peg!! Is it a full grown horse? It looks small to me..... :roll: The poor thing didn't have a name? Is it a baby, then? How about Lucy? :lol: Just kidding.....:lol:

Thanks for sharing!!! :D
janet

Post by janet »

Congratulations Peg! And best of luck with her. Is this the paint your DH has been looking at for some time? Could always call her 'Miss Kitty' to go along with 'Doc'. :wink:
jd in nh
janet's list
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. --John Andrew Holmes
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

:lol: Lucy! I'll suggest "Lucy" to DH and see what he says!

Janet... hmmm... not a bad suggestion! And yes, this is the new mare we've been waiting on since November! :P

She is pretty small right now. She's 3 years old and will still grow for at least another year, maybe two. Her breeding makes her a "late bloomer" meaning she could grow and fill out quite a bit in the next couple of years.
Last edited by PeggyC on Feb 06, 2005 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PeggyC's Hosta List
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Doc & Lucy sounds good to me.... :lol:

Oh, see how much I know? :lol: I just thought she looked a little short.....She is really a baby, kinda then.....Awwww.....I still like the name Lucy for her..... :lol:
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

She's beautiful Peg. :D Congrats!!! :cool:

Seeing her brings back great memories for me. 8-) She looks very much like a horse I used to ride on summer vacations. He belonged to my friend and his name was Comanche.
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Awww..she's beautiful! Congrats on the new member to your family. I have to say that Miss Kitty IS a cute name since you do already have a Doc. Doc and Lucy sound good together too. :wink:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Awww she is so pretty! How about the name of Miss Queenie? :lol: How many horses do u have and how big of a property do u have? I love horses, use to ride all the time when I was errrr younger. :lol:

Debbie

patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

Awwwwww.........she's a pretty girl!!! Miss Kitty is a cute name...but then again she looks like an Oreo cookie. Doublestuff? :lol:
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

:cool: :cool: Nuthin like real working critters, and a working paint to boot! Lucy beat me to the question. She looks to be about 14 hands??
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

Deb, we have three horses now, the mare being our third and we have six acres.

OED -- that's a mighty fine guess! :lol:

PeggyC's Hosta List
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

He's just lucky, Peg!! :lol:
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

In Peg's words, "That's a might fine guess Lucy". :lol: :lol: :wink:
Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Annie »

Oh I love your horses!!
I use to have a horse that looked just like the mare you got. His name was Dutch. He was about 14 hands too.
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
Lionitus

Post by Lionitus »

What a beautiful horse, Peg. Congratulations!
jmboyer

Post by jmboyer »

Your new mare is beautiful, Peg. You must be very happy. Nicki is a doll and it's good to see Doc looking well after his illness. Good luck with the new mare.
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Shes a pretty filly! My DH just got a 18 month old
Appaloosa and he is spoiled rotten! Kicks and bites when he dosn't get his way! DH works with him everyday and he is getting a bit more manners, but still has to show his stuff when he gets back in the pasture.

Congrats

Ginger
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

:eek: Ginger, kicks & bites! :o Your DH is a brave guy!

I feel fortunate that this little mare has a wonderful disposition! We were told that she was turned out in a pasture in Arkansas with about 50 other horses. But she leads well, DH has already ridden her, loaded right in the trailer, let the dog check her out, yadda, yadda, yadda without a hitch. Oh yeah, the vet was also impressed with her manners. :P

PeggyC's Hosta List
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Lucky you! It is a neighborhood watch when DH takes
Domino out. Everyone always gathers around to see who will win the battle of the day! I think Domino's problem is Mama is still in the pasture, and he has to show his stuff when he gets set free.... well the other day, one of the older mares (it might have been his grandma) got tired of his antics and kicked the living shi+ out of him! Dropped him to the ground. Scared me to death, I just knew she hurt him bad, but he jumped back up and got out of her way and was good the rest of the afternoon. He just needs to learn who is the boss, and DH is determined it will be him! He has never had horses before and although I grew up with them he does not listen to me, so I just let him learn the hard way :lol: :lol:

As far as a name.... the indian side of me says, give her an indian name, something that suits her personality.

Ginger
New Topic Post Reply