Question about male boxers

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

patsue53

Question about male boxers

Post by patsue53 »

Okay. This is going to sound pretty stupid but I've had other male dogs that have not had this problem. Hugo just turned a year old in January. He still doesn't always lift his leg to pee but even when he does he pees on his front legs!! He does this whether he's squatting or lifting. I thought once he started lifting his leg that he'd aim at the tree and that would be the end of it but instead he misses the tree and pees on his front foot. It's GROSS!!!

Does anyone else have this problem or is my dog just a little bit impaired? :lol:
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Give him some time. Doc did not aim well either and he did not lift his leg for a long time. I thought it was because he only had girl dogs around, and no one to teach him! He would even pee on the other girl's(dogs that is) heads! (ugg) He has finally gotten the hang of it and can hit pretty much what he aims at. Give Hugo a bit more time to perfect his aim! If he dosn't, well maybe keep a wet towel to clean those feet before he comes in the house :lol: :lol:

Ginger
wild4flowers

Post by wild4flowers »

Corky is 4, and has never lifted his leg to pee, until this last fall when we started taking him camping with us. He then saw the other male dogs do it and got to sniffing the trees on his walks. Now his aim is pretty darn good. But he has never pee'd on his own front feet.

We had a male goat that did that tho. And that is common of them. They pee on their feet and aim at the chin whiskers they have, so the odor is ,ummm,,,,appealing to the ladies. Thats why the males smell so disgusting.

CHAR
Deb118

Post by Deb118 »

Sorry I dont have an answer for you Pat. :( But I'm LMAO at the "little bit impaired" comment :lol: But then... I cant say much... Kane's nick name is "numb nuts" :-? :lol:
"Hold fast to dreams for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly." -Langston Hughes
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

Okay...so hopefully in a couple of years he'll get his aim straight and I won't have to wash his feet after he pees. :roll:

Deb, hardly a day goes buy that I don't worry about Hugo's cognitive abilities......tonight I left a brand new tub of "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" sitting on the counter for 10 minutes. Came back into the kitchen and guess who was licking the tub clean? And guess whose been cleaning up buttery doggie puke all evening?????? :eek:
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

It's not uncommon for males to take a bit to mature. My big tough guy Thunder is just now starting to hit the trees....occasionally :roll: . YOu didn't say if Hugo has been nuetered or not. Most males, if nuetered young, will never lift their leg. It has a lot to do with testosterone. Kinda a guy thing. "Bet I can P!$$ higher than you can". My 14 lb JRT can still outwizz Thunder and isn't shy about showing it. :lol:
jmboyer

Post by jmboyer »

Some excellent points made above, Pat. As we know, both male and female dogs squat to urinate. The leg-lifting in males is a learned behavior related to mark scenting. As research has proven, being around the influence of older dogs will give younger dogs the impetus to adapt to the leg-lifting behavior. But that doesn't always happen. Dogs with heavily muscled thighs will have difficulty with leg lifting. So, too, in rare cases, will dogs with hip or back problems. Others just never seem to get the idea of how to do it. The fact that Hugo is at least attempting to lift his leg is indicative that with maturation he should become adept at the technique.
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

*ROTFLMBO* Impaired???? :lol: well errr maybe just a bit? :lol: Oh geezeeee that just cracked me up. Never had any male dogs that peed on themselves, especially on their FRONT paws.... :lol: How well endowed is this dog? *falling off chair* :lol:

Debbie

patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

:lol: :lol: @ Debbie! Glad I could make your day!! :lol: :lol:

OED, Hugo hasn't been neutered yet, but will be soon. It's an interesting point Janet makes about the heavily muscled thighs..I hadn't thought of that. Hugo's thighs put Arnold to shame :lol: . There must be some instinct to leg-lifting because Hugo's never been around another male dog to learn it. (hmmm..maybe I should talk to my son. :lol: )
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

:lol: Debbie.......

:lol: :lol: Pat........
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

I am LMHO at this post. I don't know nothing about peeing, but my terrier poops with his front legs on the ground, and his rear legs up in the air, up onto trees.
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Pat ...If you 're thinking of having your son demonstrate the proper peeing technique to your doggie, please make sure the neighbors don't see. :lol: I'm just imagining him crawling around on all fours out in your yard and showing the doggie how to lift his hind leg. :lol: :lol:

And pooping up the tree! Well...that's a whole nother visual!! :lol:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Justme

Post by Justme »

Our Dearly Departed Yellow Lab, Truman, never learned to lift his leg. And he lived to be 14 yrs old :???: But, he didn't pee on himself either :lol:

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

Thanks for all your input. I think. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kas

Post by Kas »

One of our friends was embarassed that his male dog didn't lift his leg. It just isn't manly to have a non-manly dog, I guess. So he went pee in the yard with the dog and lifted his leg to demonstrate. The dog caught on! They had a secluded yard. On the other hand, our old German Shepard/Chow mix was a girl, but lifted her leg to mark trees and such. People would think she was a boy, but she was just tough! Lucky Bear was a very dominant dog where other dogs were concerned.

Hugo eating margarine is not as bad as some of the things Liberty has eaten. Lets put it this way, I keep my bathroom trash can up on the back of the toilet at certain times of the month. Gross, I know. But cleaning up whole maxi-pads mixed with dog poop isn't exactly fun. Not to mention the time I thought she was dying when she puked up blood, only to have the reason clarified on the next heave. :eek: :eek: I realize this post isn't for the weak of heart or stomach!

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
janet

Post by janet »

When my sister and I were little, we had an English Cocker that used to eat our crayons. Made for a very colorful yard!! :lol:
jd in nh
janet's list
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. --John Andrew Holmes
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Pat, I had another thought today. (been a few days since I had one :D ) One of the reasons Hugo is hitting his front legs is because most boxers have a short back in comparison to their height. I recall a Kerry Blue terrier that I trained that had the same problem. My own Kerry male never did this but he had older dogs to learn from.
janet

Post by janet »

Wow, when you have a thought, OED, it's a doozie!! That makes perfect sense to me...and I bet it's NEVER a problem with Corgi's or Dachshund's! :wink: What about Basenji's, Boston Terrier's and Pom's I wonder??? We could do a survey...or not. :oops: :roll:
jd in nh
janet's list
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. --John Andrew Holmes
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

Good thought OED!! :lol: I'm still hoping that as he gets older his aim will get better. I guess I'll have to find a dog park to take him to so he can get a few lessons but the "big boys." :lol:

Kas...had a Chihuahua when I was growing up that did that too. Very embarrassing. :oops:
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

:eek: KNOCK KNOCK, Good morning mam! I'm taking a survey. Does your dog whiz on his front feet? :o :o !!!SLAM!!!
Tell ya what Janet. I'll stand back and take notes while you knock on the doors. :lol: :lol: :wink:
New Topic Post Reply