English Bulldogs?

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

Justme

English Bulldogs?

Post by Justme »

My Husband has always wanted an English Bulldog and to name him Winston! I have priced them but they start at $1000 and up!! :o I know they often need C-Sections to delivery puppies, but :o :evil: .

Anyone know a way to get 'pet' quality dogs for less?

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

I would contact the local English Bulldog Rescue Group. I found these contacts for Indiana and I would start with them.

Many dogs that come through rescue are not necessarily abused and from bad homes. Sometimes they are beloved pets that for one reason or another the owners can no longer keep them. In any case, I would start with:

INDIANA Teresa Gabbard 317-539-5289 Danville

Thelma Nolan 502-743-5103 Pendleton, KY

Nancy Pariso 219 736-0491 Crown Point

There is usually an adoption fee but it won't be nearly as much as $1000.

You can find other rescue contacts at this link:

http://www.rescuebulldogs.org/rescueros ... roster.htm

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress! Friends of mine have a wonderful male and female (spayed and neutered) and their names are Gertrude and Stogie. They are terrifically cool dogs!

Alexa
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

Whoa, Tammi! $1,000! :o I hope that you are able to find one at a lesser price through rescue! Good luck and let us know!
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Hey Peg :D

To be honest, I don't know of any breed that starts much cheaper than $1000 a puppy from a reputable breeder. I am currently looking for a Dobie pup and the prices start at $1500 and go from there. Shar Pei's start at $2500.

Unfortunately, the thought of "striking it rich" by breeding "purebred" dogs has encouraged puppy mills to flourish and caused the ruin of many breeds. Many of the puppies produced by either a puppy mill or back yard breeder are not even AKC registered. Yes, there may be a copy of a pedigree but that does not mean the litter or individual puppy has been registered. There are a lot of disreputable (or uneducated backyard) people trying to make a fast buck and it makes it even more difficult for the breeders who are out to improve the particular breed.

The best way to avoid contributing to the problem is to never, ever ever buy a puppy from a pet store or one of the many "puppy farms". Seek out a reputable breeder or talk to a local rescue group.

Alexa
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

Alexa, I haven't bought a purebred dog from a reputable breeder in a long time, as you can tell! I was quite shocked by the price. :lol:

I am aware of the appalling conditions you describe so perfectly and know about "backyard breeders." :x We have a Norwegian Elkhound and a Sheltie that are both rescues from the situations you describe. However, in both cases we were contacted and asked to take the dogs (we took two Norwegian Elkhound puppies and gave one away to a good friend). It is a sad state of affairs and deeply saddens me as they were so desperate to find good homes for them that the dogs were given to us. We love them dearly and I can't imagine my life without them!

Here is our Sheltie, Black Magic Woman, aka Witchy

http://www.perennialnursery.com/forums/ ... p?id=20931

and our Norwegian Elkhound, Nikki,

download.php?id=20930
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

Tami, my exhusband also always wanted an English Bulldog but I refused to spend that kind of money. Now that he's no longer my husband he owns ones. His road has not been a pretty one. The first pup he purchased was from a "reputable" breeder who sold them an all white bulldog puppy for $600. The puppy ended up being totally deaf as well as having mange. He spend a fortune on the dog's skin condition and just as things were looking really good the poor dog got out and was hit and killed by a car.

So then he spent 2 grand on another puppy. They decided that they'd breed her and regain some of their money through the sale of the puppies. The puppy had several bouts of severe diarrhea requiring expensive veterinary intervention. Then she developed a uterine infection (possibly from stool entering the vagina when she kept having the diarrhea) and had to be spayed so there went the idea of breeding her. The dog also has a problem with her docked tale being too close to her skin (was possibly broken and healed at an incorrect angle at some point) so she develops fungus under her tale and has to have her bottom cleaned whenever she has a BM.

The dog is quite overweight...but due to respiratory limitations brought on by that adorable smushed in face she cannot be overly exercised. Also, she cannot tolerate heat and must be closely monitored in the summer.

Other than that she's a nice pooch with a great personality. Alex says she's very smart and learns quickly. DD says she's overly hyper and a pain in the butt (but she says that about my darling Hugo too so she's not a reliable source :lol: ).

So...not to put down the breed, and not to scare you off but they really do have alot of medical issues so think carefully before investing that kind of money.
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Pat, I'm glad you said that so well. I wouldn't have been so kind. The English Bulldog is one of MANY breeds that (bite my tongue) show people have destroyed for the sake of ribbons. I spent over 10 yrs in the show ring with terriers and never bred a litter of dogs because of what I've seen. Also the reason my GSD is a Czech bred dog. :eek: Don't get me started. :eek: :evil: Rent the movie "Dog Show" I've met EVERY one of those people.....many times. :lol: :lol: :roll: Now I went and done it...........again! :oops: :lol: :wink:
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Well...I guess I am just too cheap to put out that kind of money to purchase a pet. I'll stick to adopting strays...aka: mutts. :lol: The next dog we get will come from the local pound or humane society. There are just too many animals out there that need a loving home.
That's not to say that I don't care for the purebreds. There are several that I would love to have, but if I ever do it will be through a rescue agency. :???:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Justme

Post by Justme »

OED and PatSue you don't have to be kind with the words, the other part of why we haven't gotten a E.B (besides the cost!) is the health problems. I had heard about the respiratory issues and the heat issues and saliva in the folds of the face causing rashes and so on :???: . DH just thinks they are a cool looking dog. I personally am becoming more and more of a cat person.

We have a "backyard breeder" unregistered Shu Shz (can't spell it). He is a good dog, great with the 7 yr old, they play football together. The younger cat and he wrestle. If only we could get him house broken!! (18 months old).

I will think carefully about the E.B. and contacting a rescue group for a dog for DH's Birthday in June. Don't think it is a dog for taking camping though! Me I would have another Golden Ret. or Great Pyrnees are cool dogs, but not room in house or yard for dogs that big.

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
New Topic Post Reply