A little different from SAR training

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

wild4flowers

Post by wild4flowers »

I loved the story and explanation. You do a good job. Gorgeous dog. I like them big. CHAR
janey

Post by janey »

OED~You kept mentioning this was for sport...do, or could these dogs go on to K-9 duty? Is that what Thunder is being trained for, or is this one of your own babies?

I had German sheppards growing up...they are so beautiful.

Different breed involved, but there is a book called "Child of the Wolves" by Elizabeth Hall. I read it w/ one of my 4th grade classes....It is excellent. Granite is the main dog character, a Siberian Husky, and his mother is named Seppela.

After reading this w/ my kids, I then saw a review for a book called The Great Serum Race, the true story of what afterwards became the Iditarod, but was initially run when there was an outbreak of diptherea in Nome Alaska and the only way to get vaccine there was by dogsled. The man that ran that dogsled to Nome was Leonhard Seppala.

Both are wonderful books for older kids....Might be just right sometime for a grandfather to read to his grandkids. :wink:
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Janey, a few of these dogs could go on to be PSDs (Police Service Dogs, but for the majority, and my self, it is purely sport. I spent considerable time in selecting Thunder for a good, sound temperment and a clear head. Police dog selection would take more into consideration the dog that has natural fight drive (aggression) from the get go. MANY sport dogs could never make the change over to a real bite. I't just to much of a taboo for them. Thunder will have more natural protection instincts as he matures, but, as I've said before, he's not a dog I'll have to be concerned with aggression. By the time he's mature enough for some defence in schutzhund, he'll be very clear headed on the whole thing. Learning what and when he can bite is only part of the game. Learning what and when he CAN'T bite is just as, if not more important. Again, the sleeve is his toy. The man wearing it is only presenting it to him. The dogs that can be fear biters will never have the confidence to go take their sleeve from someone. The junkyard aggressive dogs will never have the control to do it. ALL dogs have to pass a BH test before they try for a schutzhund title. This consists of obedience, ability to be aproached and touched by strangers, steadyness around traffic, gunfire, etc. The dogs that can't pass these tests are not allowed to compete in the sport of schutzhund. AGAIN, there are some VERY tough dogs in the sport, but control is EVERYTHING. Thunders mother is from Czech border patrol lines and his father is from Slavic police dogs. His litter had great potential for working dogs, yet, there is still a percentage that will just make nice pets. It's like show breeders in a way. With a litter of 6-8 pups, only a few will have the potential to do well. Including Thunder, his litter has one in SAR, two in schutzhund, one PSD, and one drug detection dog. These dogs are all over the U.S. Not bad for a litter of 8.
Thunder is definately one of my own babies. When his SAR training is complete, I'm told he'll be worth many thousands of dollars. Will my baby ever be for sale. H#(( NO! Even some of the dogs I've had that were almost useless ( :roll: I've had a couple) would NEVER be for sale.
Annika

Post by Annika »

Great pictures and explanations of the training. You have got a very special dog there !

Annika
New Topic Post Reply