Litter box woes...HELP!

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

janey

Litter box woes...HELP!

Post by janey »

A year and a half ago I fell for this tiny gray kitten with huge blue eyes that had somehow been separated from it's mother....

He is now of course fully grown (black w/ green eyes) and is a house cat, except on the rare occassions that he shoots out the door before I can catch him.

The problem: Because of plumbing troubles in the basement, I had to move his litter box to the first floor. The basement is still torn apart until I can get help this week moving heavy furniture and STUFF.

I put Banks' litter box right at the top of the basement stairs and showed it to him, but last night he took care of heavy duty business in the guest room.

And all day yesterday, there was no evidence of his using it at all, as well as the day before....I've been doing the sniff test all over the house and under furniture, and I don't detect anything, but hey, it has to be somewhere....

Last night I shut him in a little bedroom w/ water and the litter box, and he used it, but what now??

The thought of his using the house, rather than the box is a bit more than I can handle.....Should I keep him confined to one room w/ the box? And then how do I get him used to the litter box back in the basement?

Please help!!
janet

Post by janet »

Just an idea, but I would think the top of the stairs location is a bit too "public" for a litterbox. Cats generally like to do their thing off in a secluded spot (and away from where they eat), especially if there are no turf issues going on. Can you just leave it in the bedroom for now since he has accepted that spot? Watch to make sure he uses it there when not confined, but I wouldn't think there would be any problem when it moves back down to the basement (just make sure he knows it's been moved again). I'm sure Snow or other experts will tell you if I'm way off base. As for hidden treasures, check any large potted plants first!! :o
jd in nh
janet's list
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. --John Andrew Holmes
jmboyer

Post by jmboyer »

Cats are creatures of habit. It is not uncommon for a cat to resist using a litter box that has been moved. I agree with Janet that the top of the stairs was not a comfortable place for him to use the litterbox. Cats do prefer privacy and surroundings that suit them. You did the right thing by confining your cat in a room until he began using the litterbox again. However, I would suggest that when the time comes to move the litter box back to the basement, you do it in stages. If you want to do it in one move, you will have to confine him again with the litterbox until you are certain that he is using it again. Good luck.
Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Annie »

I would also put him in a room until he used it. After that I would put another litterbox or maybe 2 more out and then let him pick the one he wants to use. Until you can get it back to the basement.
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I agree....I think the privacy issue is what the problem was. When it comes time to move the litter pan back to the basement I think I would leave the one in the bedroom there and add one to the basement for a while. Make sure he's using the one in the basement and then remove the one in the bedroom if you want to.
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Snow

Post by Snow »

Just keep shutting him in the room when necessary - and he'll very quickly get used to using the box in that room. We were able to successfully retrain a 14 year old cat to use a litterbox, in just this fashion.
~*Snow*~
janey

Post by janey »

Thank you all! The fact that a cat needed privacy never entered my brain....think it's kind of humorous, but if Banks needs privacy, I am more than happy to give it to him!!! :P

I think I will keep him off in that room until I can get things settled downstairs, then try moving the box back there....I can easily keep one upstairs for a while and put another in the basement. It will take some creative rigging to keep him confined down there until he claearly gets the idea, but I can come up w/ something.

Again, thank you for the advise...I appreciate it!
j~

Privacy....that cracks me up.
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Hi
Wilbur has two litter boxes. One was for the porch in the summertime, but when I moved it to the vestible by the back door in the winter he doesn't use it. He runs upstairs to the one in his room for more privacy.
I have read that it is a good idea to have a box on every level of the home too.

Locking the cat in the room won't hurt him. We lock Wilbur in his own room upstairs at night time, in case of fire we know where he is and can grab him fast and get him out of the house.He has two windows he can look out of, toys, food and water there also.

Good luck
Debbie

Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

opps...also get some stuff to put on the spot where he messed to get rid of the smell so he won't do it again.

Debbie

New Topic Post Reply