Deterring cats with coffee grounds?

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Deterring cats with coffee grounds?

Post by doublemom2 »

For as tired as I am today , I had an inspiring idea !

We always have problems with our neighbor's cats using our garden as their litterbox (oh, joy). Lately I've been going to Starbucks and getting the big bags of their used coffee grounds - free - and adding them to my compost. I had the idea to spread the grounds out all along the ground near the fence where the cats hop over... it smells strongly of coffee and I'm hoping it'll keep the cats away.

Has anyone tried this before? I'm hoping it'll work, at least for a while. I can keep going back to Starbucks and getting as many bags of grounds as I want :)

Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Ya better hope the cats don't like it. I can't imagine a cat on a caffeen buzz. :eek:
doublemom2

Post by doublemom2 »

when I tried to get my indoor cat to smell it, she sniffed and half-sneezed and walked away with a frown on her face.

:lol:
Andi
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

I have read something about caffeen being poison to slugs. Trouble is, by the time the grounds get to the yard, the caffeen is probablly gone. :roll:
Maybe your indoor cat would prefer a latae, or however it's spelled. :D :wink:
janet

Post by janet »

Hi Andi. If the coffee grounds don't work (and who can beat free?), try one of the other scents that are supposed to repel cats.

You are not alone judging from this website: http://www.neighborhoodcats.org/info/keepingout.htm
They say:
For protecting gardens or flower beds, the herb rue is often mentioned as a good deterrent, either planted or sprinkled in its dry form. Other suggested items for garden areas include orange and lemon peels (cats dislike citrus smells), cayenne pepper, coffee grounds, pipe tobacco, lavender oil, lemon grass oil, citronella oil, peppermint oil, eucalyptus oil, and mustard oil.
jd in nh
janet's list
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. --John Andrew Holmes
doublemom2

Post by doublemom2 »

Thanks Janet - If the herb rue is the same as thalictrum (meadow rue), I have a huge one planted right at the spot where they jump the fence, and they don't seem to mind it at all. I think I'll stick with coffee grounds for now since it's free and good for the soil, and though I don't drink coffee I do like the smell fo the grounds.

Andi
Andi
janet

Post by janet »

The herb is a different plant (ruta gaveolens). Good luck with the coffee grounds and be sure to let us know if it works!! :wink:
jd in nh
janet's list
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. --John Andrew Holmes
New Topic Post Reply