My Budgie

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

Midnight Reiter Too

My Budgie

Post by Midnight Reiter Too »

ImageI named him Pico Paco Henrico Taco, but I'll call him Paco.

He is a recessive pied cobalt, and he's progressing on the finger taming. He seems very happy. :D
Give a Weed an Inch and it’ll Take a Yard
jmboyer

Post by jmboyer »

Congratulations! He sounds really cute. Budgies are really adorable. I hope we can see a photo soon. Good luck with your new featherkid.
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Congrats! Pied cobalts are really cool! I had a great one when the kids were little.
Midnight Reiter Too

I was being as silly as I could be about the name. I thought Paco sounded cute, my daughter suggested adding Taco. I said, "Well, I was thinking of Pico Paco." So we had to add Henrico to keep the rhyme going. I looked up the word pico afterwards. It means "beak." That's ironic. We looked up Paco in Baby Names and it means "free man" in Spanish (for our caged bird?) and it means "bald eagle" in one of the Native American languages.

Here's something I bet some of you didn't know:

The name “Budgerigar” is the original native Australian aboriginal name, and means in translation “good food.” :eek: According to Neville Cayley, who wrote Budgerigars in the Bush and Aviary, the first part of the name (boodgeree) meant “good” and the latter part (gai) meant “food” or “to eat.” It was one of the responsibilities of aboriginal youth to collect the young budgerigars from their wild habitat, whereupon they were quickly roasted and eaten. To catch them, the boys threw sticks and rocks at the birds as they gathered toward evening. After they were collected, they were thrown on the ashes of cooking fires, which singed off the feathers. The people, so hungry for animal protein, then ate them. Dr. Donald Thompson, Associate Professor of Anthropology at Melbourne University, corroborates this report.
http://www.holisticbirds.com/HBN01/june ... udgie1.htm
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

:cool: info but I bet it takes a bundle of those little critters to make a good meal. :eek: :D :wink:
Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Annie »

I just love the lil critters.
I have 2.
As for it's name I think it's cute.
I use to have a ferret named

Goober Hoover Pea!!!
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
Midnight Reiter Too

Goober Hoover Pea! :D That's funny.

OED, that's what hubby and I were thinking!
New Topic Post Reply